This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#50260 June 21st, 2006 at 08:07 AM
RSP0720 Offline OP
OP Offline
Help!!

I have a Big Boy tomato plant that is almost five feet tall and modestly bearing average sized tomatoes that begin to rot as they turn color! I'm at a complete loss at what to do.

I have a cherry tomato plant about four feet away that is doing wonderfully so I doubt the problem has anything to do with the soil but it doesn't rule it out.

Any ideas?

Blessings,
Roberta

#50261 June 21st, 2006 at 08:28 AM
D
D
by chance can you snap a picture? To me it sounds like blossom end rot, which is a deficiency of needed minerals, or brought on by uneven watering (too much here and there or too long in between watering)

I use Espoma brand fertilizer for my whole garden. its a great source for the needed minerals plants need, and if you look close enuff at any of the other (miracle gro for example) fertilizers, they lack calcium. . . . which is the biggest thing people talk about Blossom End Rot. The plant is more than likely fine if its BER, but you cant eat the food they yeild. pitch them and NOT into the compost pile smile Good luck and post a few pics if u can.

#50262 June 21st, 2006 at 11:26 AM
I dunno Danno, rotting and BER seem a bit different to me. Do you have fruit fly where you are RSP0720?
Here\'s a site which talks about Mexican fruitfly.

The fly 'stings' the fruit, laying larvae inside, and as the fruit ripens they are eating it out. It will be rotten upon ripening.
Have a really close look at the pulp of the fruit and see if there are maggots inside. They may be very small, under 1/16th ".
It could be other things too, so a pic or more info would be helpful.

#50263 June 21st, 2006 at 05:58 PM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
RSP0720 I agree with Longy had problems two years back with Mexican fruit flies. Don't remember how I got rid of them will have to go back and see if I wrote down anything on it. We have that bad here in DFW area about every 4 years for some reason.

#50264 June 21st, 2006 at 08:29 PM
Well, if it is fruit fly, there are so many suggested control methods it'll make your head spin. From systemic poisons to putting your developing fruit in bags and using bait stations. It's all very complex.
My preferred and proven method is to go to the camping store and buy a mosquito net for a double bed and put it over your tommies. Works for me.
You'll need to remove stung fruit and always pickup fallen fruit and dispose of it. The maggots when finished with the fruit, will tunnel into the soil and develop into adults and the cycle will repeat.
Put damaged fruit in a plastic bag and leave in the sun for a few days then compost or dispose of.
See. I told you it gets complex.

#50265 June 22nd, 2006 at 12:46 AM
J
J
I agree with Danno. Most likely BER just described as "rotting". What are your watering habits?

Link Copied to Clipboard