This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
E
E
First you would want an heirloom or an open pollinated variety to do what you want in my opinion.
I have grown tomatoes for over 40 years and have grown both hybrids and op's. The drawback I've had here in this area is finding op's/heirlooms that will produce. I planted 17 op's/ heirlooms this year and only two of them will be back next year. I will plant 20-25 different op/heirloom varieties looking for those that will produce here. I always plant about 30 hybrid plants of 5 or 6 varieties so I will have enough tomatoes for my salsa,eat,and ect.. Caspian Pink and Cherokee Purple are two that have done fair here and taste great. After six years of trying Brandywind(Sudduth) I leave it out this year. Brandyboy a hybrid was my best tasting this year for me.
If Rutger's does well for you and you like the taste that is what matters. Best of luck in your 2007 gardening. JD

Roflol, I had that idea too-that there must be the perfect tomato for me to grow and eat.
But, having learned so much in this terrific forum, I see that there's no such thing if I meant just one plant. In other words, my "dream tomato". For taste, texture, color, resistance, appearance, size of both fruit and plant, the whole thing. In one plant, ain't gonna happen...
A real plus about folks disagreeing here-we're still learning, still exchanging ideas, still FREE to speak up. And that's all a plus !
I'll bet in person we'd all like each other very much !
So many people with the love of gardening from all over the world-this place is great !
So we have our spats-what good relationship doesn't, right? So no worries.
I'm just glad to know all of you. wavey

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I agree Deb..
And I love to talk gab tomato..
And I love to listen gab to anyone's oppinion
on tomatoes..
Hey it's a tomato, how can a home grown,
fresh from the garden, be wrong....

and I really enjoy everyone and every point of view..
and I enjoy having everyone learn gab hear about what everyone does
with the homegrown tomatoes, and how crit they do it,
and best of all to see those homegrown tomatoes..

Just a thought-IS there a tomato that has good taste, nice and firm and juicy, a slice would fill a sandwich edge to edge, good disease resistance, would grow well in a big tub or half barrel, and is a nice bright red?
The tomato taste I like is the tart one. Not the sweets.
What tomato that would come close to this description, would you experts suggest that I grow?

I'm not an expert by any means, but I would stick with the dwarf varieties if I were limited to planting in a tub. The only experience I've had with dwarf tomatoes is with Silvery Fir tree, and I like them a lot. Some of the SFT tomatoes have been big enough to fill a bread slice but most have not.

Check out the New Big Dwarf variety at victoryseeds.com. I've heard good things about them and they sound like what you are looking for.

J
J
Originally posted by Deborah L.:

What tomato that would come close to this description
Very few. Dwarf plans with large fruit are not common. The closest would be New Big Dwarf but it's pink, not red....more on the sweet side, not tart and normally grows in the 3-4 foot range. Dwarf Champion might be another to try, but fruit size is in the 3-5 oz size.
Like I've said before, if you like tart try some of the green-when-ripes. Lime green salad comes to mind. Small plant would do well in a container with 2-4 oz fruits.

Good points, JCT. Hopefully a few differences here or there won't be considered non-starters. wink

At the end of the day, silvery fir tree would be my recommendation. I can tell you that if you want tart fruits from a prolific dwarf plant, SFT will not disappoint. They are very unique and attractive plants as well.

Are silvery fir tomatoes furry? Or am I thinking of another one?
Let me tell you, between Sorellina, JohnCT and Mr. Clint, I have learned alot about tomatoes-and I'm making notes as to what to try this spring.
I'm determined to grow at least three varieties, and Cherokee purple is one of them.
Since I'm 3/16 Cherokee-Choctaw, gotta have a Cherokee purple !
Great forum !

Just say no to furry tomatoes. :lol

You have access to Yahoo! too right? wink

SFT gets its name from its unique foliage. The leaves have sort of a silvery-gray hue and are shaped similar to carrot tops. Whoever first named them thought the leaves resembled those of a silvery fir tree.

Thanks for the explanation.
SFT does sound like a good patio tomato for me to try this spring.

J
J
Originally posted by Deborah L.:
Are silvery fir tomatoes furry? Or am I thinking of another one?
Garden Peach

OK, that must be it-thanks !
I'm not gonna grow it, was just curious and thought I remembered seeing a fuzzy one somewhere.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard