This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
OP Offline
D
Have any of you grown Black Eyed Susan and/or Purple Coneflower from seed? I sowed some last week and was wondering if they will flower the first year or not. Thanks a lot!

HI I have grown some from seed... The Black Eyed susans will bloom first year but not the Cone flowers ...At least that was my experiance.. The Susans self seed like crazy too..

Daylily, I've never tried growing "Rudbeckia" black-eyed Susan from seed so I can't help you there. Duh Sorry! frown I have grown "Echinacea" Coneflowers from seed, but I don't believe they bloomed the same year I planted them. It's been while ago so I can't be sure. Duh I don't grow too many things from seeds anymore.

D
OP Offline
D
Thanks so much for the info, Patti and Rita! flw

R
R
Oh, dear..... two days ago I was cleaning out the rock garden where I had planted a "purple" (=dark pink) coneflower plant from Wal-Mart that's always done well. There were a bunch of plants that had what seemed like the same leaves but no flowers and I thought "Meh, some pretender weeds," and yanked em. Dang.

Now I realize they were first year coneflowers. Guess I'll check and see if they're still alive in the heap... LOL. I never realized they didn't bloom the first year.

But be aware, they will spread by seed if you leave the seed heads for the birds.

:-)

Hi Neighbor! wavey

I live in Illinois, and I'm just across the river from St. Louis, so I guess that sort of makes us like neighbors! wink I've heard of Lee Summit before, but I'm not really sure where it is? Duh

I was cleaning out the rock garden where I had planted a "purple" (=dark pink) coneflower plant from Wal-Mart that's always done well. There were a bunch of plants that had what seemed like the same leaves but no flowers and I thought "Meh, some pretender weeds," and yanked em. Dang.
Oh yeah, I've been there and done that so many times, thumbup

be aware, they will spread by seed if you leave the seed heads for the birds.
Oh, if only I could be that lucky! laugh I have to get out there and collect some seeds before my birds strip the seed heads clean! Geesh, I don't think you can ever have too many coneflowers! I love luv them!

Link Copied to Clipboard