This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#49627 June 12th, 2005 at 08:36 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I bought a venus fly trap to put in my room, but it had a bit of a journey to get to my house and now 9 of it's traps are shut, because of bumps. Will it survive, and if so do i need to do anything specific with it.

#49628 June 18th, 2005 at 06:09 AM
I just got one recently as well. Don't worry about the traps, they'll open up when it's happy.

Just be sure of the following: Water with only distilled water (not tap water, not bottled water even, which contains minerals). I made this mistake (using bottled spring water) for a few weeks and it doesn't look too happy. Also, don't water from the top -- put the pot in a dish and water from the bottom (let it sit in the water all the time). And don't ever fertilize.

[Linked Image]

That said, I've had mine a few weeks and it's growing like crazy -- but the lower leaves/traps just turn black, and pretty quickly. I'm not sure how normal that is for traps to die off so quickly. The poor bugger hasn't eaten yet, either. Alas, not too many flies around here yet.

Duh

[Linked Image]

#49629 June 18th, 2005 at 12:47 PM
Greenhouse Pixie
Greenhouse Pixie
quick comment >.o just a lil constructive criticizm m'kay? I definately would avoid putting it in a dish of water all the time. I would just stick to keeping it moist by putting it in a terarrium, or on top of a pebble tray with water below the pebble surface. See, putting it in water all the time allows the roots to get all rotted >.< this could explain why your traps are dying so quickly. Growth might be doing well, but still. Mine has 11 traps on it right now and 9 of them are functional ^.^

Its in a terarrium, stays around 70 degrees during the day, gets light from 3 flourescent bulbs, has red in the traps, and stands up straight with its spring leaves thumbup So ya, if you wana water it, i'd leave it in the cup of water for no more than an hour before letting it drain out ^.^

~Phoebe

#49630 June 18th, 2005 at 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Nako:
I definately would avoid putting it in a dish of water all the time....
Really? I guess I got bad info, and spread it around... Sorry, kazalio! shocked

Thanks, Phoebe! I'll try it and see if they last longer. How often do you think I should water them?

Also - Do you think it's okay if they don't eat for a few weeks? I'm just not getting any flies now that I got this plant -- of course! laugh

#49631 June 18th, 2005 at 02:00 PM
Greenhouse Pixie
Greenhouse Pixie
don't worry about it ^.^
Just make sure the potting material its in never dries out. What's important is that the water in the potting material doesn't get stagnant from sitting there for a long time. That's what causes root rot. As long as the water is flushed through it every once in a while, or even moving around under it, it should be fine.

As far as feeding goes, they only eat once or twice a month ^.^ I got mine last month, and have yet to feed it >.o but i'll get something for it to eat ^.^ i just gotta find time and means to get it lol.

I'm actually gonna write a small book on carnivorous plants over this summer smile so ya! if you have any more questions, please do fire away ^.^

~Phoebe

#49632 June 19th, 2005 at 12:08 AM
I sure will, Phoebe, and thanks again! Good luck w/ the book - let us know when it's out! And congrats on your 1000th post. smile

#49633 June 19th, 2005 at 05:33 AM
Greenhouse Pixie
Greenhouse Pixie
omg thank you! i didn't notice until you said anything lol! But ya, its not gonna be a published book ^.^ its gonna be kind of a will creed style book that involves general information and is available to anyone who asks me for it lol. No charge ^.^ cuz i'm awesome like that thumbup

~Phoebe

#49634 June 24th, 2005 at 01:38 AM
I just had to post this picture I took. I call it "Soooooo Close!" laugh

[Linked Image]

I wacked the fly gently with a fly swatter -- it could only walk. It must've crawled all over the VFT for like an hour and never got eaten! frown I tried to first drop him into the largest trap, but it closed w/o the fly in it. I don't think he'd fit into this one, but the pic is awesome, huh? smile

#49635 June 24th, 2005 at 01:44 AM
Are you sure the fly isn't holding the VFT's mouth open? laugh Great picture!

Dianna

#49636 June 24th, 2005 at 02:12 AM
laugh

Wow - that pic was taken yesterday, and I assumed the fly got away. But he didn't - he was in the dish, still alive and kicking! So I plopped him in there, and the VFT finally got a meal. clp

#49637 June 24th, 2005 at 08:53 AM
Greenhouse Pixie
Greenhouse Pixie
yay! lol that pic is awesome ^.^ i still gotta feed mine >.< mine's starting to droop from the heat though, so i gotta let it cool off first before i can feed it lol.

~Phoebe

#49638 August 23rd, 2005 at 02:26 AM
F
F
I've been reading lots of posts about Venus Fly Traps and wanted to add my story. When I lived in England I bought my first - even though another customer advised against it showing me his bandaged hand and arm!
Anyway, in autumn it died, or so I thought. I threw it out.
Years later I bought another one. I was away from home in autumn and my daughter-in-law looked after my plants. She desperately tried to keep the VFT alive, but failed. I felt sorry for her and left the dead black thing another week before throwing it out. And it lived!
I had it for years and years. It sat in an ashtray and every morning I watered it (tap water) until it stood in about a 1/4 inch of water. This would be used up by morning. During the day it's active, at night it sleeps, so don't water in the evening.
When a fly is too big and sticks out of the trap, cut off the trap but leave the rest of the leaf.
I never provided flies, I left it to fend for itself. As far as I can remember it only caught and ate about 3 or 4 flies every year.
The traps close at night and open up very early in the morning.
Don't despair in autumn, it turns black and limp but comes back to life soon enough. I never did anything to it in autumn, just left it in its place. Never changed the soil. When the new leaves appear, don't remove the black ones until they've come loose, don't tear them from the plant.
And after more than 10 years I just had to see it flower, and I secretly hoped my plant would have superpowers and survive. It didn't. It had a beautiful set of flowers and then it died for good. So, always cut out the flower stem when it reaches about 3 inches height.
I have immediately bought new ones, 2 this time. Which is what I would recommend if you've never taken care of one. Use one to experiment with and don't do too much to the other. See which treatment works best!
Children love the VFT, don't let them touch the traps all the time. Closing and opening costs the plant a lot of energy.
Good luck!

#49639 August 24th, 2005 at 01:57 AM
B
B
Ive had and kept my venus fly trap alive this whole year and even repotted it in Peat Moss as it was getting so big, a few of the bits i divided into another small pot died but the man plant is doing fine. It's winter here now and it is much smaller but still very much alive and green. I think we have a lot more flies here or just hungrier venus fly traps because I would find ants, flies, small bugs all fallen victim on a monthly basis.
What worries me is I'm also dying for it to flower wonder but would hate it to die in return.

What exactly will cause it to die and how long can the flower stay....if I should ever be so lucky.
Wasn't that pic amazing
Am a newbie so would be great to heat from anyone.

#49640 April 20th, 2006 at 12:52 AM
R
R
my venus fly tray looks like its dead but i'm not sure if it will recover

#49641 April 21st, 2006 at 12:42 PM
Not sure what happened to my previous post ...

What does your VFT look like now?

#49642 April 22nd, 2006 at 03:46 AM
M
M
It seems that VFTs can grow in standing water or not, and that if you ask 2 different growers you'll get at least 4 different answers. I just separated mine, bought as "1 mature plant" 3 years ago, and found it is now 8 very happy plants. It's never been out of standing water (distilled a/o rain, it's outside in the summers), though the water level fluctuates wildly and I clean it out every month or so, due to algea growth. A lot must depend on ambient air temp and humidity and how much sun it gets. I've found what mine likes, I hope you all find what's right for yours!

#49643 April 23rd, 2006 at 12:51 PM
T
T
Keep your VFTs in a shallow tray of water, about 1/2 to one inch during the growing season. In winter they go dormant and will grow VERY slow and flat against the soil. These plants naturally grow in very wet, boggy conditions. They LOVE IT.

Tom

#49644 May 8th, 2006 at 08:17 AM
it is probobly fine they should open up in about 10 hours mine has a cricket in it and it hasn't digested it in about 6 days not kidding!!

#49645 May 16th, 2006 at 04:08 PM
I have a question. In all the pictures you guys posted the traps are all standing straight up but my plants traps just sort of lie on the ground.

#49646 May 16th, 2006 at 06:51 PM
What was the question?

Link Copied to Clipboard