This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#4945 April 5th, 2005 at 04:15 PM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi TK ~ wavey

Early this morning I had a great thought for you!

Because there are many of us on the forum with either chronic health issues OR temporary illness which make constant meal ideas another chronic hassle in our lives, why don't you make a thread of your great ideas?

It would be a benefit to ALL of us, because even the healthy folks could print out the thread and file it someplace just in case they ever get into a predicament!

thumbup

Merme

#4946 April 5th, 2005 at 07:29 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Ok Merme,

If you think it might be of interest I'd be glad to. Recipies can take up a lot of room do you think that would be a problem?

#4947 April 5th, 2005 at 07:52 PM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
Actually, I was thinking we could do the discussion part in this thread and you could post actual recipes (as needed) in the recipe forum.

Merme

#4948 April 5th, 2005 at 08:11 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
That sounds like a good idea. So I'm not very good at titles. Could you name the string and I'll jump right in maybe with some meal plans around that capon you have?

#4949 April 5th, 2005 at 08:27 PM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
Actually, TK, you could just continue right from here on this thread because it already explains the topic.

Or, you can get fancy and start another one entitled "TK's Brilliant Meal Plan Options for The Dinner Time Challenged (aka Merme!)" shocked

Or something eye-catching like "What To Do When You Look At A Full Pantry And Freezer And Can't Dream Up A Single Thing To Cook For Supper!" laugh

Or..."For Heaven's Sakes, DON'T Call Delivery (Yet Again) When Your Kitchen Is Stuffed But Your Mind Is Blank!"

Oh, do just jump right in, TK, I NEED those ideas of yours!

kissies

Merme

#4950 April 5th, 2005 at 08:43 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Okay Dokay.

Roasted Capon
Stuffing & Gravy
Fresh tossed salad
Mint fool
Dinner Rolls and butter (optional)
Mint or Orange tea

Notes:
I think stove top stuffing done in the bird is great.
Adding mandrin oranges and blanched almonds with a sweet & sour dressing makes for an unusual but yummy salad.
Sun tea is always a nice addition to the table as long as getting to sleep is not a problem.

Please help me name these plans so they will be easier to find. I will add the title to each plan so that they will be easier to keep straight ok?

#4951 April 5th, 2005 at 08:51 PM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
Please post that Mint Fool recipe in the recipe forum, TK. Sounds delicious!

Now you see, THIS is a meal I could put together but would never have thought of in a million years.

I can't think of what you should be calling this, but perhaps the others will have a good idea!

Merme

#4952 April 5th, 2005 at 08:55 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Space Alien salad
Chicken and Dumplins
Green Beans a la tammy (lol)
Mock minosas(sp)

Notes:
Space Alien Salad (boys and rabbit food)
Small scoop of cream cheese, celery sticks, carrot sticks, green onions, sliced bell peppers.
use the cream cheese as a base and stick the veggies out of it for a nice dip that is fun for kids.

Green Beans a la tammy (lol)

Drain the french cut canned green beans add 2 tablespoons butter, 2 tablespoons diced onions, 1 tablespoon bacon bits, a few pomentos diced and a 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder. Salt and pepper to taste.

Mock minosas

1/2 glass orange juice
1/2 glass 7 up
swizzle stick
and an orange slice and marichino cherry.

Boy can i not spell.

#4953 April 5th, 2005 at 09:28 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
This is one of those things that came to me watching the commercials where they paint a picture using food. So this seems like the perfect time to put it on paper so to speak.

Build a basket weave frame from bread cut into long slices placed vertically and then horizontally around the outside of the plate. Leave the crust on the bread slices.

Sliced Hard Boiled Eggs
Green Onions
Sliced carrots
Marigold blooms

Green onions place on plate white end down and use the leaves as stems for blossums made from the carrots layers arount the sliced hard boiled eggs intersperse the marigold blooms with the egg slices. For something different.

Milk coffee or tea
Spreadable cheese

#4954 April 5th, 2005 at 10:33 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Citrus Salad
Navy bean soup
Corn Bread & butter
Sorbet

Milk, Coffee or Tea

Note: This is the time to use the less sweet corn bread and a salted butter.
This is a great use for the crockpot.

An alternative to the citrus salad is a tomato, onion, mushroom salad in a herb dressing/marinade

#4955 April 5th, 2005 at 10:37 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
name for first recipe "Stuffed Rooster" or maybe not.

#4956 April 6th, 2005 at 02:14 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
London Broil
Au Gratin potatoes
Peas
Glazed Pears
three tier Sponge Cake with whipped cream frosting

Milk, Coffee or Tea

Note: For this I like a herb rub rather than a marinade for the london broil.

#4957 April 6th, 2005 at 03:40 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Shrimp Parfait
Herb Garlic Roast
Broasted potatoes
Broccoli with Butter Sauce
Garlic Bread
Flan

Milk Coffee or Tea

Note this is rich so plan on making small servings.

Time: The Shrimp parfait can be made the night before with no loss of flavor. potatoes can be cut ahead as long as they are put in the refregerator in water with a little (stay fresh vegtable stuff). I don't know what to call it. The roast can be rubbed in the morning or even the night before and left in the refrig. Because I've never grown my own vegtables I've always used the frozen birds eye so I'm not sure about doing them ahead. And I buy the texas toast so it's three minutes in the over at the end of roasting time and it's done.

#4958 April 6th, 2005 at 03:54 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
When it is hot outside a cold dinner is easier to prepare. And very satisfing.

Vichyssoise
Cabbage & Carrot Salad
Bread Sticks
Cheese Cubes & Pepperone slices

Ice Tea

Note Vichyssoise can be refrigerated for up to 2 days. The Cabbage & carrot salad and it's dressing can be done a couple of days ahead also. Cheese and peperoni can also be done in the morning. I don't like doing the cheese much earlier than that because it starts to get hard. Bread sticks I usually buy so they are ready whenever I am lol.

#4959 April 6th, 2005 at 04:00 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
An entire meal in an eatable bowl.

The tortilla salad

Sangria with citrus fruit floating on top

Note: The tortilla "bowl" shape can be achieved by taking the freshly fried tortilla and draping it over a cereal bowl. There is no need to spend extra buying these pre-made in the store.

Definitely everything here can be done ahead as long as you drain the hamberger very well. Then when it is time to eat just toss everything into the tortilla and enjoy.

#4960 April 6th, 2005 at 04:05 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Fancy Smancy

French Onion Soup
Garden Fresh Salad
Standing Rib Roast
Green Bean Cassarole
Mashed potatoes & Gravy
Cherries Jubilee

Milk, Coffee & Tea

Note; I've gotten raves for this meal and the hardest thing to do is to remember to call the butcher a week in advance so he has the size standing rib roast I need waiting for me at the store.
I did this for my boyfriends birthday and got back rubs for a month.

Time wise this isn't as bad as it looks. The french onion soup is liptons dry onion soup, crutons & preshredded mild chedar cheese. Garden salad of course you can do in the morning and I certainly would. Green Bean Casserole again I used canned green beans, canned cream of mushroom soup and fried onion again from the can. (I am so bad). The standing rib roast is such a wonderful piece of meat all that's required is sticking it in the pan shoving in the meat themometer and turning on the oven. Mashed potatoes and gravy dare I say instant? Cherries Jubilee yes everything should be done before hand either the day before or the morning of except scooping out the ice cream and lighting it on fire lol.

#4961 April 6th, 2005 at 04:12 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
For the crockpot

Corned Beef & Cabbage (potatoes too)
Corn Bread
Custard

Ale, or Stout

Note; I'd call it the 4 c's but that would sound like a fish dish lol. grinnnn

#4962 April 6th, 2005 at 06:38 PM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
THANKS, TK, for these wonderful ideas!

Now for some questions.

If you click on the paper and pencil icon at the top of one of your posts, you can enter that post again and add to it. So....would you mind going back in them and indicate which parts of each meal could be done in advance and by how far ahead?

Lots of times I am feeling pretty well the night before or early in the morning and then am sick and weak by dinner time. So if I could take advantage of my stronger hours to make dinner production time easier, that would be marvelous. thumbup

Also, while you are typing these ideas up, COULD YOU PLEASE STRAIN OUT ALL THE CALORIES FOR ME?! laugh My cardiologist told me this morning he wants me to lose the last 15 pounds on my diet.

Merme
PS you can also use the edit icon to add titles if you want to.

#4963 April 6th, 2005 at 07:43 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Merme,

Do not go anywhere near these recipes if you are on a diet...any kind of diet. I am over 200 pounds and love to cook with fats. It tastes great but the calore counter would have a nervous breakdown. Even the salads are not safe after I get done with the dressing.

How do you feel about: fish, rice, baked meats? And what kind of a diet did the doctor recommend? Some say bread some say not, ect.

You can still roast the capon but do the stuffing on the stove so it doesn't soak up the fats from the bird. Also use a lowfat margerine not butter. And of course you have to take the skin off the bird and basically pat it dry before you eat it. Capons have been raised in such a way that they are much plumper(fatter) than regular chicken, just what you don't need on a diet but the taste.....

#4964 April 7th, 2005 at 05:51 AM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
Not to worry, TK, I am a MASTER at eliminating fats and calories out of recipes without changing the quality of them. I should be, after all the weight I've lost!

I was only joshing you about straining out the calories. Nana's11 used to serve up piping hot muffins every morning in cyber space and they were completely calorie free as long as we ate them on-line! laugh

The only trick to successful weight loss is learning how to appropriately manage ordinary food. Extreme or radical or terribly restrictive diets don't produce lasting results because no one can eat that weird way for the rest of their lives. It is SLOWER to lose weight by managing ordinary food correctly, and we are so impatient for results!, but the final outome is healthy and lasting.

So here's my quetion:

I have never prepared ribs of any kind but that standing rib roast sounds great and the photos I have seen of them are awesome. Do you think a novice rib cooker could do one successfully? It seems perfect for serving on that special evening with loved ones gathered round.

Merme

#4965 April 7th, 2005 at 01:58 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Don't think of them as ribs more like steaks standing up in a circle. With a meat themometer they are way simple. The only reason to save them for a special occassion is the cost. They are not cheap. Also a very small one will serve six.

Your loved one will rave. I always feel alittle guilty because it is so easy.

#4966 April 7th, 2005 at 02:02 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
grrrrrrrrrrrrrr it won't let me go back and edit, says it's been to long. Well ask about any of them I wasn't able to edit and I'll let you know. ok?

#4967 April 7th, 2005 at 02:03 PM
I am gaining weight just reading this topic! laugh

Dianna

#4968 April 7th, 2005 at 02:07 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Fried Chicken
Corn on the cob
Mac & Cheese
Coleslaw
Dinner Rolls & Butter
Beverage

When I do fried chicken I usually do enough for several days because it is just as good cold as it is hot. The coleslaw can be done a head of time and should be. It will last a long time in the refrigerator. Mac & cheese if you do the velveta cheese can be refrigerated and reheated but the box kind really can't.

#4969 April 7th, 2005 at 02:22 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Romantic dinner

Oysters on the half shell (served on a bed of ice garnished with parsley and lemon slices.
Iced grapes
Sweet Italian Sausage Meatballs Egg noodles in cream sauce
Tomatoes and Mushrooms in a tarrigon marinade
Fruit cubes with sour cream dip
Soft Bread Sticks

Beverage Anything from Bitters to a champagne cocktail works with this

Note: Just about everyting can be done a head except the Egg noodles and actually cooking the meatballs. The oysters I would do in the morning. The iced grapes can be done the day before. The tomato/mushroom dish needs to marinade for 24 hours or so. And the fruit cubes can be done that morning also. The bread sticks are the ones pillsbury makes. So it's just take them out of the can and bake. And then enjoy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard