This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#49444 November 14th, 2006 at 03:04 AM
njoynit Offline OP
OP Offline
Some of my dipper gourds are becomeing ready.Any deco ideas for dipper gourds?The 2 currently ready are not large enough for use as birdhouse.

#49445 November 15th, 2006 at 11:20 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Did you get any pictures of those smile wink ???

Hang on a bit, maybe DeepCreekLake may have some ideas' for you.. He did some too, I think....

*Or maybe Mike57 too from Texas, he does stuff like that, gourds and stuff...*

#49446 November 17th, 2006 at 01:05 AM
njoynit Offline OP
OP Offline
I had 2 similiar type dipper gourds grow.I call it thin& thick.the thick ones are a lil larger,but grew later when was all nice and roasting outdoors.The thin ones were comeing into age end of july.I've had 4 become dry(I caved in...was the weird shaped one too)1 I call my mini gourd.its about 1 1/2 inches tall.

In this picture....you might notice the larger ones growing on fence.I've only chosen a pair to keep cause the vine has both growing together so would hang naturally
[Linked Image]

this one....you can see the skinny one...just behind the blue mailbox& that one you see hanging is the actual one thats about ready for me to clean
[Linked Image]

#49447 November 17th, 2006 at 02:30 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Sooooooo very neat to see..

I'll PM DeepCreekLake,
he did some and had some painted..
And I'll PM Mike57...
I know he does bunches of birdhouse's
with his.. they were soooooo pretty...

#49448 November 18th, 2006 at 02:14 AM
That picture reminded me of my former neighbor. He grew some gourds one year, and they went crazy. Went up in a tree, and next thing we knew we had gourds hanging over our fence. They were pretty neat looking.

#49449 November 18th, 2006 at 11:13 PM
D
D
If you grew the gourds this year- I would wait until next spring at least before you work with. If you clean them off too early, the shells can sink in, because they are not fully dry. I use acrylic paints to paint my gourds, and seal it with high gloss acrylic sealer (look at walmart in the craft section).

Here is a pic of a few I did.

[Linked Image]

#49450 November 21st, 2006 at 12:30 AM
njoynit Offline OP
OP Offline
Those are neat.I like the moon& the ghostly one.I like the shape of the pointy tops.

The 2 I'm fixing to dry have been drying a bit.they we're removed in july.They sound pretty dry when tapping.they are not as big or long as the one hanging behind blue mailbox.

as have been searching....I seen someone who glued other gourd parts onto their gourds & someone made a rabbit head useing snake gourds as ears & set the head made onto a body of a scarecrow for their porch.she was a playgirl bunny....so I can't share that pic(but living in the booneys.....I can do that one in my yard)I have one partially done from last year. I'll post it later.I did the 1st coat with leftover paint from kitchen& have stenciled flowers on it.I have my ivy stencil now so guess need to complete it.

This is the pair i'm keeping as a pair.Not sure what doing with them yet.....but it will be awesome.
[Linked Image]

#49451 November 21st, 2006 at 01:38 AM
njoynit Offline OP
OP Offline
Here is the one I have been working on& had stopped.I've an ivy stencil that I've found now (packed in halloween box)

[Linked Image]

large birdhouse

#49452 November 21st, 2006 at 04:30 AM
wow! thumbup clp clp

Link Copied to Clipboard