This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#49353 September 13th, 2006 at 09:09 PM
debnoel Offline OP
OP Offline
I bought 4 roses this summer, a florabunda,an English rose, and two tea roses. I put them in a large garden that will be exposed to the full force of winter. Should I cover them with rose cones for the winter? I have 2 other tea roses that I do not cover because they are in a protected spot next to the house. I am afraid that without some protection the new ones may not make it. Duh

#49354 September 14th, 2006 at 04:10 AM
I usually cut mine back and cover almost the entire plant with mulch or soil.

#49355 September 14th, 2006 at 06:09 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i put down a good, thick (about 6 inches) of leaves - packed down a bit close to the plants. i use those small, white plastic coated wire edgers (got them at the dollar store) to hold the leaves in place (some spots are pretty exposed to wind).

if the canes are really tall, i'll trim them back some...otherwise, i leave the pruning until early/mid march.

#49356 September 14th, 2006 at 10:56 PM
debnoel Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks everyone.I have some large plastic pots that shrubs came in and I think I might put leaves around the canes and then cover them with the pots. There are holes in the pots so some air will circulate. I will have to do a bit of pruning, probably down to 6-8 inches. Do you think this will work?

AND Joclyn if spring comes and you need the autumn clematis, let me know and I will send you some plants. I usually just rip them up because they come up EVERYWHERE. I've given them to friends and they have found them to be quite vigorous growers overtaking fences and mailbox posts!!

Link Copied to Clipboard