This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#4881 September 27th, 2005 at 11:59 PM
LMT Offline OP
OP Offline
PUFFBALLS!!!

Linky

I saw one yesterday so I had to go back and get it this morning for breakfast. Most excellent and there are a half dozen more that started over night!

As the article says, they must be WHITE inside.

I fry them with butter and/or olive oil and a little salt and pepper.

#4882 September 28th, 2005 at 06:03 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
I didn't know you could eat those!
Cool! grinnnn

#4883 October 1st, 2005 at 06:47 AM
LMT Offline OP
OP Offline
I wonder, has anyone tried one? I've consumed two and I'm still here. I'm going to collect some on Sunday, saute and freeze for later. Should be a nice meat substitute in a stir fry.

No fuss, no mess. If they're young, they're good.

Talk about organic ...

#4884 October 1st, 2005 at 11:47 PM
I've been gathering mushrooms since my father first took me hunting them as a kid. I always refer to at least two field guides for positively identifying varieties. Be aware that there are some toxic puffballs, but I believe any of the giant varieties are fine. It would be cool if someone who really knows this stuff would start a forum here!

#4885 October 6th, 2005 at 03:59 PM
LMT Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by peppereater:
I've been gathering mushrooms since my father first took me hunting them as a kid. I always refer to at least two field guides for positively identifying varieties. Be aware that there are some toxic puffballs, but I believe any of the giant varieties are fine. It would be cool if someone who really knows this stuff would start a forum here!
No kidding. We have people swapping seeds ... why not free food! I've eaten puffballs for more than 20 years. You know, people say everything tastes like chicken ... puffballs taste like pork chops.

My guide is that it needs to be as white as a mashmellow and even whiter inside. If all goes well I'll have pics later.

Link Copied to Clipboard