This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4867 November 6th, 2006 at 10:30 AM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
We also like keilbasa soup in cold weather.

2 cans chicken broth
1 keilbasa sliced thinly
1 small onion, diced fine
4 medium to large potatoes, diced
3 or 4 carrots, sliced thin
1/2 head cabbage, shredded
A fistful of spaghetti noodles.

In a large saucepan, combine all the ingredients except the spaghetti noodles. Bring to a boil and allow to simmer for about 1/2 an hour. While the soup is simmering, break up the spaghetti noodles into strands about 1 1/2 to 2 inches long. Return the soup to a hard boil and add the spaghetti noodles. Cook until noodles are ready. Serve immediately.

Merme

#4868 November 7th, 2006 at 12:20 AM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
PUMPKIN SOUP

2 cans chicken broth
1 can pumpkin
1 can evaporated milk
small onion, diced fine
a clove or two of garlic

Dice onion and crush garlic; put in chicken broth and allow to simmer until onion is cooked. Add pumpkin and stir. When thoroughly mixed, add evaporated milk, stirring constantly until well blended and heated through.

Merme

#4869 November 7th, 2006 at 12:25 AM
Does that ever sound good Merme! I love the use of the evaporated milk rather than heavy cream. I love pumpkin..pumpkin anything and everything! Yum!

#4870 November 7th, 2006 at 08:47 AM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
CREAMED TUNA ON TOAST OR TUNA TETRAZINI

2 cans tuna
1 can peas
1 small can mushrooms stems & pieces
1 small onion, diced fine (optional)
evaporated milk
2 tablespoons flour + mug of hot water

prepared spaghetti noodles, elbows or toast.

In a saucepan, combine peas and mushrooms, including the liquid. Add tuna after it has been drained. Add diced onion if using it.

When simmering nicely, combine the flour with the mug of hot water until smooth and pour into the simmering pan, stirring constantly. As it thickens, begin to pour evaporated milk, adding as much as you care to in order to achieve the thickness you prefer.

Serve immediately over elbows, spaghetti, or toast cut into diagonal pieces.

You and also substitute canned chicken for this recipe.

Merme

#4871 November 15th, 2006 at 01:19 AM
Weezie, cream of broccoli soup is super-easy to make--and it is soooo good to not have to leave your nice warm house to go get it!! I make it several times each winter. Unfortunately, my hubby hates soup, says it's a beverage not a meal laugh so we don't have soup anywhere near as often as I like. Although this isn't a true pantry soup, this is one of my all-time favorites:

Toscana Soup (Olive Garden)
2 3/4 Cups Chicken stock/broth
1/4 Cup Heavy Cream
1 Medium Russet potato
2 Cups chopped kale
1/2 lb spicy italian sausage (I use de-skinned brauts)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

Combine the stock and cream in a saucepan over meidum heat.
Slice the unpeeled potato into 1/4-inch slices, then quarter the slices and add to soup
Add the kale
Grill or saute the sausage. When cooked and cooled, cut the sausage at an angle into slices about 1/2 inch thick. Add the sausage to the soup.
Add the spices and let the soup simmer for about 2 hours. Stir occassionally.

#4872 November 15th, 2006 at 03:08 AM
Wow! I am going to print this and make some of these soups! I love soup and all of you have some fabulous recipes!!! thumbup

#4873 November 15th, 2006 at 03:19 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Originally posted by LandOfOz:
Weezie, cream of broccoli soup is super-easy to make--and it is soooo good to not have to leave your nice warm house to go get it!!
Ummmmmmmm smile , did you leave me a recipe crit ?????

#4874 November 15th, 2006 at 06:51 AM
Originally posted by weezie13:
Ummmmmmmm smile , did you leave me a recipe crit ?????

Well, it depends on what kind of broccoli soup you like, but here is one I use:

Cream of Broccoli Soup
4 Cups Chicken Broth
1 Large Bunch broccoli, chopped (3 cups) (can use frozen but not as yummy)
1/2 Cup Diced Onion
1 Bay Leaf
1/4 teaspoon salt
Dash ground pepper
1/4 Cup all-purpose flour
2 ounces ham (1/3 cup diced)
1/2 Cup Heavy Cream

Combine the chicken broth, broccoli, onion, bay leaf, salt and pepper in a large saucepan on high heat. When it starts to boil, simmer, covered, for 30 minutes (or until veggies are tender).
Put about half the veggie/broth mixture into the foodprocessor and process until pureed. Pour this back into the soup. Turn heat to low and whisk in the flour until all lumps are dissolved.
Add the ham and cream and simmer for 10-15 additional minutes or until soup reaches the thickness you enjoy.

This recipe, and the one I listed earlier, serves 2.

If this recipe doesn't tickle your fancy, you might try one from here

#4875 November 19th, 2006 at 01:54 AM
After reading these soups again...I am going to make one today;-) now to decide which one,I think the 1st one of merme's sounds yummy...I did not see the speciality potato chowder you mentioned,merme..can you post please.Thanks

#4876 November 19th, 2006 at 02:30 AM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
Chenno ~ the discussion of the potato soups were on page one, but I'll reorganize it for you here.

SPECIALTY potato CHOWDER

1/2 to 1 lb. bacon, fried crisply
6 good sized potatoes, diced small. I really like using red potatoes for this recipe, leaving the skin on, but they can be expensive and I do not always have them on hand. "6 good sized" means a hefty Russet or something like that -- for red potatoes it would be more.
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 package frozen corn or canned corn
1 quart Half & Half
1 lg container Sour Cream OR plain yoghurt

Directions:
Fry the bacon until nice and crispy. I do mine on a cookie sheet in the oven to save time.
While that is cooking, peel and dice the potatoes if using ordinary ones, just dice if you are using red.
Chop the onion.

Put the potatoes on to cook in a good sized soup pot, with just enough water to cover, really, but not too much; add the onion. Allow to cook. When the potatoes are nearly done, add the corn and allow it to heat through. Crumble the bacon into bite sized bits and stir in. Add the Half and Half. Add the Sour Cream or Yoghurt, stirring thoroguhly to incorporate.

If I am making this for company, I will cook the potatoes and onions in my big pot and when they are finished, will put them into my crock pot. Then I build the recipe from there right inside the crock. This is especially helpful if I got carried away adding water to the cooking potatoes because I can drain off the extra while adding the potatoes to the crock. The crock pot keeps it nice even if the meal gets delayed and you don't have to worry about the Half and Half scorching by being left on the stove or needing to be reheated if you've shut it off.

This is a very simple but hearty and elegant recipe people beg me to make frequently.

Merme

#4877 November 19th, 2006 at 02:44 AM
Thank you!Sorry I missed it;-) I am going to make,I hope it will be ok with turkey bacon? as I do not eat red meat.

Thanks again;-)

#4878 November 19th, 2006 at 09:58 AM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
Chenno ~ You can eat any kind of bacon you desire, truly. But just so's you know... bacon ISN'T "red meat". It is a product of pig and pig is technically a white meat.

However, even more specifically, bacon -- of any kind -- is usually classified as a "fat" and should be counted as such in any diet. You really can't add it to a meal as the "protein" all by itself. When added to beans, it calculates differently.

Merme

#4879 November 19th, 2006 at 11:49 AM
Thanks Merme...I just do not care for meat much...
Even poultry and seafood, a few times a month. get most protein from beans,nuts,soy etc..
I do thank you for your info;-)

#4880 November 24th, 2006 at 04:57 AM
Merme, I made your Kielbasa soup and I have to say that that was the BEST soup I have ever eaten. The kielbasa really makes the soup taste great & flavors the veges too. I used a whole package of spaghetti noodles, for my hungry boys. Thank you for a wonderful recipe I will use for years to come!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard