This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4842 October 19th, 2006 at 12:08 AM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
I know everyone has a favorite, quick and easy soup to make out of supplies kept on hand for those awful weather days when going out just isn't the best idea. I'm hoping y'all will share your Pantry Soup (or Freezer Soup) recipes!

This in one of my favorites:

ITALAIAN VEGETABLE PANTRY SOUP

1 can chicken broth OR chicken noodle soup
1 can water
1 can whole kernel corn with juice
1 can diced or stewed tomatoes (spiced or plain)
1 can small white beans (RINSE VERY WELL)
1 small can mushrooms with juice
small amount grated Parmesan Cheese
Italian spices to taste

This wonderfully hearty soup goes together very fast and cooks up into a satisfying fare for bad weather days. It smells good, looks pretty in the bowl, and is YUMMY!

About the diced tomatoes and spices. If I am using plain diced tomatoes, I will add my own spices... oregano, garlic, maybe some celery seed. If I am using Italian Stewed Tomatoes, I usually will only add extra garlic powder.

When the soup is in the bowls and ready to be eaten, sprinkle on the Parmesean Cheese.

This is 6 small servings or 4 very large servings, and it also keeps well in the fridge.

Merme

#4843 October 19th, 2006 at 12:20 AM
Ohh My favorite is Chicken and Rice Soup

2 cups of Cooked chopped up chicken
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup chopped Celery
1/2 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup White or brown rice
1/4 cup barley (if you like)
Large can of Chicken Broth
1/2 tsp Thyme
Salt and pepper to taste
Add it all to a pot and cook till vegies are done to your liking..If you use instant rice add that about 20 minutes before serving!

#4844 October 19th, 2006 at 12:50 AM
I usually make chili on those kinds of days. It goes in the crock pot in the morning and stays in there until we're ready to eat in the evening. I will try to give you the recipe, although I don't have it written down, I just throw things into the pot! laugh

2-3 pounds ground beef or turkey cooked through
1 large green pepper diced
1 large onion diced
1-15oz can crushed tomatoes
1-60oz can red kidney beans, rinsed until water runs pretty clear
1 jar Tostitoes salsa (your favorite level of hotness)
2-3 tablespoons garlic powder
1/4-1/2 cup chili powder

Put cooked ground meat into cooker. Sautee peppers and onions until tender; add to slow cooker and mix with meat. Add crushed tomatoes, beans, and salsa; mix well. Add garlic powder and chili powder to taste.

We ususally don't eat dinner until around 7:00, so the cooker is usually on low for a good 8-10 hours. Our cooker flips over to "warm" after 10 hours. I usually bowl the chili and then put a hand full of shredded cheese....whatever we have on hand....on the top. I've served it in bread bowls before also, but we don't eat alot of bread, so that doesn't happen often.

#4845 October 19th, 2006 at 01:09 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I'm going to "feature" this one,
so it stays at the top.... wink thumbup crit

#4846 October 19th, 2006 at 01:11 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I just a do a verrrrry quick soup,
with some Herb~Ox Beef Bouillion Cubes
and some fine noodles...

Serve it with some crackers and butter...

#4847 October 23rd, 2006 at 07:54 AM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
In my winter pantry, I like to keep a wide variety of pasta products. Among our favorites are Pastina (those itty bitty stars), Ziti (the long wide tubes with stripes), Bow Ties, Elbows and Spaghetti.

And of course, a nice selection of dried beans, split peas, lentils, etc. There are some really nice multi-bean dry mixes as well.

Rice is a must.

I also like to keep several cans of broths: chicken, beef and fish.

With an assortment of vegetables on hand (canned, dried or frozen), the possibilities are nearly endless even when meat itself is in short supply.

I also prefer to keep white flour, corn meal, wheat flour and one of those self-rising flours such as Bisquick.

Simple soup can be jazzed up with dumplings, or a real crust rolled to enclose a heavy stew, or corn bread/muffins made to go with one of the bean mixtures.

One can almost never run out of options with just these few staples on hand, even when the weather is too foul to attempt a trip to the store to pick up something "fresh".

Merme

#4848 October 23rd, 2006 at 09:38 AM
Merme, I love dumplings !!!!!
The only complaint I have with your post is that you didn't say what time dinner is !!! wink

#4849 October 23rd, 2006 at 09:43 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I love dumplin's too..

*(Deb, I didn't get the time for dinner either... eek eek wink laugh )*

#4850 October 25th, 2006 at 03:50 AM
I'm gonna print this page! Yum Merme, that sounds great!

Here's one of mine I just did a couple of days ago...

CREAM OF potato WITH BACON

6 - 8 strips of regular bacon (I get mine at the deli) - cooked then broken up into bits
6 potatoes any variety, I use yukon usually - diced small

1/2 sweet onion OR red onion Or 4 to 6 bunching onions - chopped finely

3 small carrots - diced

6 sprigs of parsley - diced

2 cups of water

1 cup of sour cream OR plain yogurt

1 tsp of garlic powder OR two garlic cloves

1 tsp salt

1 tsp pepper

To save time I cook the bacon while chopping potatoes and every thing else.

Put diced potatoes, carrots, 2 cups of water, onion and spices in a large pot, like 2 quarts maybe... just so the water covers the potatoes, bring to a boil and simmer on medium for 20 minutes.

After veggies are cooked, add the bacon bits, stir, add 1/2 to 1 more cup more water, stir, add the 1 cup of sour cream, stir until smooth (your desired consistancy), let simmer on low for another 10 to 15 minutes and serve! Add bits of parsley on top for decoration. This soup just gets better as the flavors blend smile

For a different twist, try using leeks instead of onions.

For reheating, don't forget to add some water or milk so you don't scorch the soup:)

Lorena

#4851 October 25th, 2006 at 06:12 AM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
Lorena ~ your recipe is very similar to my Specialty potato Chowder.

For mine, just omit the garlic, parsley and carrots. I add a package of frozen corn or a can of corn. I prefer to use pretty red potatoes for this recipe and leave the peels on.

Also, when the potatoes and everything are completed and the bacon has been added, I use nearly an entire quart of Half & Half. Once that is heated through, I add the sour cream or yoghurt.

The addition of the Half & Half and sour cream or yoghurt mixture is what makes it a Chowder instead of a soup.

This is rather hearty! And much beloved by all whenever I make it.

Oh, Deborah and Weezie ~ Dinner is whenever you arrive!

Merme

#4852 October 25th, 2006 at 06:25 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
a great soup that's easy to make with stuff that's easy to keep on hand is ravioli soup.

one large can of chicken broth, one package of the frozen mini ravioli, one 10 oz package frozen chopped spinach, one cup of locatelli cheese (can use parmesan also).

everything but the cheese goes in the pot, bring to a boil and cook until the ravioli are done (about 10 minutes) and then stir hard and sprinkle in the cheese (if you pour it in too quickly, or don't stir enough, it just sinks to the bottom).

this is a good rib-stickin' soup!

#4853 October 25th, 2006 at 06:28 AM
I LOVE soup! I make soups all the time!

Lorena..I love your recipe! All natural..no cans..I don't trust anything that comes out of a can. Will be using your recipe soon!

Christina

#4854 October 25th, 2006 at 09:55 AM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
Joclyn ~ That recipe sounds wonderful! Maxi and I both enjoy Ravioli, but I never make it at home because I don't really know what to do with it. Yet this soup recipe sounds easy enough for even me. I know Maxi will be pleased! Thanks for sharing it.

Merme

#4855 October 25th, 2006 at 02:11 PM
Thanks, Merme ! LOL !

#4856 October 25th, 2006 at 10:47 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
you're so welcome, merme!!! it's a great soup and SO easy to make!! and i'm sure you'll both enjoy it!!

ravioli are a great meal...so easy to cook (about 12 minutes for the regular size) and you just heat some tomato sauce to top them off with! nowadays, there are a really good variety of fillings available, too. the usual meat or cheese as well as shrimp or lobster or spinach. i've even seen chicken and mushroom fillings too! most of the 'gourmet' type fillings are available from places like bj's wholesale, costco or sam's club. i have seen some of them at the regular supermarkets...in my area they've started to carry such things to compete with the big 'clubs'.

geez, the one with the lobster filling even comes with the sauce...can't get much easier than boiling the water, dumping the ravioli in and putting the sauce packet in (to defrost/heat) too! meal is ready and being eaten within 30 minutes!!

ha! rachel ray even did a lasagna casserole using ravioli!! gotta try that one - sounds good smile and with all these different varieties available, you can come up with some really interesting versions!!

those two versions of potato soup/chowder BOTH sound delicious...gonna try both versions (or some combo of both)!!

and taking off on merme's post about pasta...

progresso makes a tomato basil soup...which is delicious all by itself!

i 'beef' it up sometimes with wide egg noodles and chicken breast. i just cut the cutlets into small/bite-size pieces and lightly brown in a pan while the noodles are cooking in a seperate pot. then i combine the soup and chicken and bring that to a simmer and let it cook a bit so that the chicken is cooked through then i add in the noodles and serve. 1 can of the soup, 1 breast of chicken and 2 handfuls (uncooked) of noodles are more than enough for two people...just double up according to how many more people you are feeding...more or less noodles depending on whether you like more or less. thinner noodles can be used too...i just like the wide ones for this particular dish.

#4857 October 25th, 2006 at 11:45 PM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
Joclyn ~

Thanks for the good information on ravioli. I am going to have to shop for some now.

And I also appreciate your suggestion of how to "beef up" the Progresso Tomato Basil soup. THAT recipe is going to the top of my list to be done ASAP.

Another pasta variation we enjoy is spaghetti pasta under red clam sauce. It makes a lighter sauce than traditional spaghetti sauce and is easier for my son and I to manage. That's another appealling reason for us to try your tomato basil soup recipe... we seem to do better with tomato dishes that are thinner than what one usually sees.

Thanks again.

Merme

#4858 October 26th, 2006 at 12:29 AM
We put ravioli in chicken soup to give it a little more substance.

Kielbasa Stew

5 strips bacon (optional)
1 medium onion, chopped
2 lbs cooked kielbasa (you can usually buy it cooked)
1 or 2 large cans of great northern beans, undrained
2 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
1 (4 oz) can chopped green chilis (optional)
2 medium carrots, thinnly sliced
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1/2 tsp. Italion seasoning
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/8 tsp. pepper

In a 12-in. skillet, cook bason strips until crips; remove to paper towel to drain. In drippings, cook onion and sausage until onion is tender; drain. Stir in remaining ingredients; bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occassionally. Crumble bacon and sprinkle on top.

I have found it easer to cook if I use a pot instead of a pan. Also, I don't use the chilis or the bacon. ....and I drain about half of the liquid out of the beans. Its one of those things that are sooo easy and makes alot so you have it for leftovers.......and the 2nd day is always better than the 1st!

#4859 October 26th, 2006 at 01:04 AM
That sounds so yummy Jenn~~~!!

#4860 October 26th, 2006 at 02:13 AM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
Although this isn't a true "Pantry Soup" as it requires ground beef and optional celery, this is still a good recipe for most things "on hand". It is actually the way to make Pasta E Fagioli, as recommended by the American Heart Association. It is a sort of "pared down" version.

1/2 to 1 lb quality ground beef
1 medium onion
2 or 3 carrots sliced thin or one can
2 stalks celery, if available, sliced thin
2 cans diced tomatoes -- plain or flavored or even stewed if you like them
2 cans beef broth
3/4 cup Ditalini noodles (short tubes like cut elbows that have been chopped smaller)
1 can Cannelli beans or any small white bean WELL DRAINED AND RINSED!

Brown up ground beef and put into a deep sauce pan. Add all other ingredients except for the noodles. Allow to simmer for a while. 20 minutes before serving, turn up the heat, bring to a boil, add noodles. Cook (stir occasionally) until noodles are tender.

Merme

#4861 October 29th, 2006 at 10:43 AM
Merme, I have been looking for a creamy corn soup recipe, I'll use your hints for sure! I froze some corn from my garden for the first time this year, that would be a fun recipe to try wink

Thank you!

Lorena

#4862 October 29th, 2006 at 11:20 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I've been really wanting to
*but being a reallllll chicken about doing it*
make Cream of Broccoli Soup..
*I Love that stuff,
and I do go to McDonald's in the winter time and get there's..
I really like how creamy theres' is.*
~~~~~>It's probably only about 1,000 calories,
but it's very tasty....

#4863 October 29th, 2006 at 12:16 PM
McDonalds sells soup? nutz I loved all your ideas. I'm not much of a soup person so I have nothing to share but I look forward to trying some of these recipes. One soup that I've been wanting to try to make because the whole family loves it is french onion soup. Can't seem to find bowls that are the right size and depth though. I'll keep looking, there's gotta be some out there somewhere.

#4864 October 29th, 2006 at 11:51 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Do you have a local restaurant you go to?
Maybe they'll sell you some crocks' at cost???

#4865 November 5th, 2006 at 04:50 AM
anybody know a good recipe for butternut squash soup... i used one once then lost the recipe, i do know it had red peppers in it and tasted delicious!

#4866 November 5th, 2006 at 12:16 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
here's a couple i found when someone gave me some white and butternut squash...

cooks.com

foodnetwork.com

i made this one with the white

jfolse.com

that wasn't bad - you could probably use the butternut instead of the white.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard