This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#485 October 14th, 2004 at 03:43 PM
W
Garden Gnome
OP Offline
Garden Gnome
W
The further misadventures of Wild Willy, the Hillbilly Gardener
Episode #16... Building a Birdbath

It has been a long, busy summer season, with several new projects started (even a couple jobs that actually got finished) and few garden upgrades...
(The gardens of Cedar Hill are constantly evolving to accommodate new plants, new brainstorms or my mood.)

a normal birdbath
The bird garden is the most visible to me from where I usually sit. There are several feeders, bird attracting plants, perch and nesting areas, and one very ugly birdbath...

building a birdbath
I decided that my birdie buddies deserved a better place to bathe and get a drink of water, so I decided to convert a fountain kit into a birdbath that was more fitting to the garden's style.

upgraded pump added
I upgraded the original (submersible) fountain pump to one the produced a 400GPH water flow and attached a long piece of 3/4 inch rubber hose to it.
I used a yard of sandy topsoil to create the form of the new bath... The high end of the bath is 2 1/2 feet above the "pond". The stream flows through 3 small bathing pools as it recirculates.

I used a 4'x12' sheet of rubberized pond liner to cover the shaped packed topsoil, then added more soil as needed to accommodate the stone work....
pond liner addedmore soil added

rocks and boulders added
I added little rocks in the pools, big rocks around the edges and selected pieces of wood for decoration.

Voila!! All done!
a hillbilly birdbath

Wellllllll... ok... I know its a little plain looking and not really up to my usual standards, but I used up my eight image limit so I couldn't show you what the finished birdbath looks like now.

So sorry!
Willy

Last edited by Gremelin; March 12th, 2020 at 08:28 PM.
#486 October 14th, 2004 at 04:18 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I know its a little plain looking and not really up to my usual standards
I think its GREAT! It looks really nice thumbup

Thanks for showing it to us.

Karen grinnnn

#487 October 14th, 2004 at 04:43 PM
W
Garden Gnome
OP Offline
Garden Gnome
W
I think its GREAT! It looks really nice
Please see episode 17! grinnnn

I used up my eight image limit so I couldn't show you what the finished birdbath looks like now

#488 October 15th, 2004 at 04:51 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Thank you for the progressive steps! Duh I don't know why you called it ugly? I like it....at least from the picture you have shown! I guess taste is in the eye of the beholder.
Catlover kit

#489 November 26th, 2004 at 10:46 PM
Greenhouse Pixie
Greenhouse Pixie
omg bill it looks pretty so far ^.^ *buzzes over to the next episode*

~Phoebe

#490 March 9th, 2005 at 08:10 PM
OMGAWD!!! I LOVE that ugly birdbath!!! wavey

Link Copied to Clipboard