This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#48302 December 10th, 2006 at 08:52 AM
J
Josiah Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Is it possible to dye a white rose (or any for that matter) black? What do you use as a dye? Will it kill the rose?

Thanks for reading, cheers.

#48303 December 10th, 2006 at 10:41 AM
Hi Josiah! Do you mean dye a cut rose or a whole bush permanently? For the latter, I have no clue, but I saw some beautiful deep blue roses at the florists across the street. I would assume that you can put the cut white rose in a vase of coloured water (try food colouring and water, a few drops should do it). I know this workds with white carnations, but am not sure if it workd with roses. Let us know how it turns out, will you?

#48304 December 10th, 2006 at 02:41 PM
J
Josiah Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Sorry I wasn't more clear, I did mean just a single cut rose not a bush.

#48305 December 11th, 2006 at 09:19 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
kenny has the right idea. it does work with carnations, and i imagine it might work with roses, but i've never tried.

#48306 December 12th, 2006 at 02:31 PM
J
Josiah Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Which end of the rose would I put in the water? About how long should i leave it?

If you couldn't tell already I have no experience whatsoever in gardening :rolleyes:

#48307 December 12th, 2006 at 02:58 PM
Josiah, you won't really be "dyeing" the flower... as the flower drinks the colored water (through the stem) the coloring is drawn up into the petals.

I'm not real sure if this method will work on roses either, but I'm sure curious as to whether or not it will work, so keep us posted please! (If I'm not mistaken, I believe that "woody" stems, such as those of roses, will draw the water better if you crush the stem at the end before placing it in the water.)

You had asked if coloring a rose will kill it... my answer to that is, not if you use food coloring, or a non-toxic coloring, such as those that come in kid's water color paints. I don't think that shoe polish would be a very good idea... <i>but who the heck even uses that stuff these days? Duh it might be an interesting story, so if you'd care to share, I'm sure we'd all enjoy hearing it. (You just might start a fad around here!) [Linked Image]

#48308 December 15th, 2006 at 01:24 AM
Rit dye would work...also I know there are some berries, like poke berries that when soaked with water and vinegar can change colors too.? let us know what you do?

Link Copied to Clipboard