This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#47924 September 30th, 2006 at 07:01 PM
T
OP Offline
T
I have a grouping of Bearded Irus' that have not been seperated for more than 15 years and have grown quite large. It is now the end of September (in Tennessee) and I wanted to know if it is ok to dig them up, seperate & transplant them?

#47925 September 30th, 2006 at 07:03 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Please send your replies to:

I removed your email address for safety reasons ~cindy

#47926 September 30th, 2006 at 07:33 PM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B

#47927 September 30th, 2006 at 07:37 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Hi, wavey
I removed your email address from the post above for saftety reasons.
We like to keep our members here safe from spammers, etc.

The members will answer your question here, so that others can also learn by reading your topic.

Here's some info on transplanting irises.
Dividing and Transplanting Iris Plants

Welcome to the forum! wavey

#47928 September 30th, 2006 at 07:38 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Looks like Bill beat me to this one! laugh wavey

(...getting slow in my old age!)

#47929 September 30th, 2006 at 09:23 PM
It is now the end of September (in Tennessee)
Well it's sure nice to hear that, because it's the end of September in Oregon too! thumbup You'll find that we're a bunch of friendly people here, all willing to help each other & share our gardening experiences (as well as our hobbies, pets, kids, recipies... the list goes on, as you may have noticed). Many of us have developed good friendships here, & we're like one big family!

I'm looking forward to getting to know you & hearing about what else you have in your gardens... or about your hobbies, pets, kids, recipies, etc. (Oh, and we LOVE pictures here!) Please stop in at the New Member forum & introduce yourself... or, just jump in on a topic & join our family!

By the way, I'd love to see your Iris when they bloom! If you want to see what happens when you don't thin Bearded Iris, take a look at this mess. (When a "grouping" gets this big, thinning can turn into quite a bit of work!)

Hope to see you again soon... & often! [Linked Image]

#47930 October 1st, 2006 at 10:23 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
welcome to the forum! good bunch of people here!

oh, most definitely split out the iris!! now is the perfect time - it can even be done in early spring, too.

lol, 15 years is a long time to wait to split them out!! you're certainly going to have a job on your hands!!!

it took me two days to split out mine - and that was only 3 rhyzomes originally that had been growing for 6 years...i had over 40 new iris to transplant when i was done.

you're going to have hundreds!!

if i were you, i'd plan on doing a section or two now and then doing more in the spring. you'll probably need to finish it up next fall.

what color is your iris? if they're white, pink or purple, i'd be interested in doing a trade. i've got deep purple bearded iris (and a few other things too).

let me know and good luck with the splitting/transplanting!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard