This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#4785 July 17th, 2005 at 01:40 AM
O
OP Offline
O
I had a Mexican dinner party recently and served this as an appetizer with tortilla chips. Everybody who came asked for the recipe. I finally finished typing it up for them and decided I should post it on the forum as well.

The recipe is from the Fall 2002 Penzey's Spices catalog.

They call it the best dish of the harvest.

Fresh Corn Salsa

4 cups fresh corn kernels or 2 cans (Out of season I use Del Monte gold and white)
1 red bell pepper roasted
1 large tomato chopped (about 1 cup)
2 jalapeno peppers seeded or not if you want it hot
1 bunch green onions diced (ends trimmed)

Dressing:
1/3 c. corn oil
1/4 c. fresh lime juice (2 small limes)
2 TB. water
2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt, divided
2 tsp. medium chili powder
1-2 TB fresh cilantro
1/2 tsp. garlic powder (2 cloves fresh)
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. ground red chipotle pepper

Dressing: Mix the spices with the 2 TB. water in a small bowl and let stand for 5 minutes. Add lime juice, oil, sugar, and 1/2 tsp. salt. Whisk to combine and set aside.

Roast pepper under broiler in oven turning with tongs until charred all over. Put hot pepper in a plastic bag or saran wrap. Let steam 15 minutes. Run under cool water.The skin should then come off easilly. Remove seeds and veins. Chop.

Place corn kernels in a large bowl. Add chopped bell pepper, tomatoes, onions, and jalapenos. Pour the mixed dressing over the salsa and toss gently. Refrigerate overnight. Just before serving, toss again and adjust seasoning if necessary. Add the remaining 1/2 tsp. salt at this time.

#4786 July 19th, 2005 at 05:22 PM
Thanks, Obywan ~

This sounds delicious and certainly should be easy enough to accomplish.

Merme

Link Copied to Clipboard