This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#4773 August 23rd, 2005 at 08:01 AM
T
topcat Offline OP
OP Offline
T
reciepes for eggplant that is. Anyone got any good ones. I have a small eggplant that we bought today. I don't have money for any extra ingrediants and Kendra will not eat cheese. And it needs to be wheat free/gluten free.

Thanks

#4774 August 23rd, 2005 at 12:07 PM
Eggplant can be used as simply or as elaborately as you care to use it.

With Kendra's and your dietary restrictions, you might be just as well off doing this...

Peel the eggplant
Slice into 1/2 in thick slices (like round patties)

At this point, you could dip the slices first into a beaten egg (if you are allowed those) or just some water if you can't use eggs.

Then you can also dip the moistened slices into any bread crumby mixture of your choice, using whatever gluten free type crumbs you have got.

Next, put the dipped and "battered" slices into a hot frying pan that some margarine has been melted into and just fry them until they are browned and softened.

If you've got a fresh tomato, you can slice that up alongside, or you can make a simple tomato gravy using corn starch, if you are allowed to have that (or any thickener of your choice).

Merme

#4775 August 24th, 2005 at 04:55 AM
Hi topcat
I found this recipe for egg-plant on the internet.
MASHED EGGPLANT

Poke the eggplants (say 2, medium sized ones) with a knife, and insert slivers of garlic in the slits. The eggplant can be roasted either in a conv. oven, a microwave, or ideally, on a slow charcoal grill. When they are done (they become kinda' limp), peel, and mash up the insides. Use a knife to cut up the long fibres.

Seasoning:

In a wok, heat some oil, and add chopped onions, and chopped ginger. Fry till the onions are semi-browned, and then add the mashed eggplant. Add salt, and pepper to taste. Season with lots of chopped cilantro (coriander leaves). Since the eggplant is already cooked, you need not cook for long in the wok... just long enough to mix things up good. A tomato or two chopped fine, and added with the eggplant also tastes good.

Alternative seasoning:
Chop onions, ginger, tomatoes, and cilantro, and mix *cold* with the mashed eggplant, and a few table spoons of mustard oil. The mustard oil gives a nice tangy taste. Look for mustard oil in your nearest Indian grocery store.

#4776 August 26th, 2005 at 12:45 PM
T
topcat Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Well out of all the reciepes we chose the one we thought would go best a reciepe for tropical eggplant and to say the least that is the last eggplant we are ever buying. I will try anything new at least once with an open mind as long as Kendra does too, and we both admitted this was not a good one.

#4777 August 27th, 2005 at 12:37 AM
I'm so sorry about your bad eggplant experience. Eggplant can be a very mushy bitter experience (the seeds make it bitter, I always try to remove as many as possible)...but its really great if you roast it whole, and roast some red bell peppers and a whole head of garlic, then take all these ingredients and blend them in a processor with some salt, pepper and olive oil. It makes a great dip for veggies. But try to remove those seeds after you roast it.

I've also added it to marinara sauces (cut in chunks) along with some other diced squash and mushrooms for a great pasta sauce.

But I've had some strange eggplant in my day so I totally understand! flw

Link Copied to Clipboard