This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#47548 September 15th, 2006 at 12:24 PM
R
OP Offline
R
i have this plant that was at my girlfriend's old apartment and it was dying, it was never watered. 3 of the 5 stalks in the pot had died, so i took it and watered it and got a bigger pot. it looks great now, but i have no idea what kind of plant it is! i would like to also grow more from this one, but i have no idea how it reproduces. please let me know, i am sure it is a pretty common house plant, and i know it doesnt like direct sunlight. it looks like a palm tree. if you can help me let me know, i can send you a picture.

---------------------------------------------
I removed your email address from your post.
The site maintains strict security & privacy policies for the protection of the members, & has a PM (Private Message) system in place where people can exchange personal e-mail addresses if they want.
~Cindy (afgreyparrot)

--------------------------------------------

#47549 September 15th, 2006 at 02:42 PM
Russ, does it (or might it someday) look like this?

[Linked Image]

I'm just taking a wild guess here, going by a few of the characteristics you described... & it sounds like the plant you rescued was nearly dead, so it might not be as full as the one in the photo.

Anyway, this is a Dracaena marginata AKA: Red-edge Dracaena or Madagascar dragon tree. If it's the same one you have, you're right... it doesn't care for direct sunlight, but mine does real well in a bright, sun-lit room. There's no point going into its care requirements & how get more plants from it, until you confirm my guess. (I will say, though, that if this is the plant you've got, you can do more harm than good to it & it'll drop leaves all over the place, if it's over-watered or if its roots stay too wet.)

Now... I'd like to welcome you to the forum! [Linked Image] I must say that I'm pretty impressed that you rescued that plant! clp Most of the guys I know, wouldn't even care! I just love it when men show an interest in plants... (& I love it even better when they're not afraid of the kitchen, because I HATE cooking!) lala

You'll find that we're a bunch of real friendly people, eager to help each other with house plant & gardening issues (& most of us are looking for help with ours too, so don't be shy... if you see something else you can rescue, jump right in!)

Do stop into the New Member forum, have a look around, & introduce yourself. We're like 1 big family here, & look forward to getting to know you better!

#47550 September 16th, 2006 at 03:12 PM
I'm back! wavey

I see that you posted a picture over in one of the other forums here, Russ! Duh (I sure hope you're putting that green thumb of yours to work!)

#47551 September 26th, 2006 at 01:36 AM
P
P
I have gotten very, very brave with one of mine and cut a little slice out of the trunk or just run your fingernail about 1/4" into trunk. I've had several new shoots appear!!!! grinnnn smile

Link Copied to Clipboard