This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#47032 September 14th, 2006 at 06:37 AM
A
OP Offline
A
Hi all,

My flowerbed needs lots of work. I would like to post a picture of it, but I don't know how to do that.I want to take everything up (except shrubs and alzea ( I know this is misspelled) bushes) and start over again. I live in VA and I think the climate here is okay. One of the main problems I face is that when I attempt to plant anything I encounter these thick white roots. I assume these roots are from the shrubs. They are everywhere. I can't dig a whole without hitting one. They are so hard to pull up that I have to use a hedge trimmer to cut them and then pull them up. What can I do about these roots? Or do I just have to take the time and pull them all up? Please let me know what I can do to make this flowerbed look better.
. Thanks in advance for your help

#47033 September 14th, 2006 at 09:17 PM
A
OP Offline
A
Here are pictures of my flower bed, please help?
flowerbed2

flowerbed1

flowerbed3

flowerbed4

#47034 September 14th, 2006 at 11:22 PM
Hey annointed. Your bed looks like it is organically dead. Devoid of organic matter. If it was mine, i'd rake all that mulch off and build up the soil with compost. You may have to buy it but whatever. Composted soil is gold. Your choice. The roots probably come from the shrubs up against the wall and i reckon they look established enough to not care if you savage them, but a new deep layer of compost or at least good organic soil will definitely help. Then re-lay the mulch over the top. (Though i reckon that mulch looks like shyte. Looks unnatural) Anyway, That's what i reckon. Great fotos BTW. Makes it easy to make a comment. Good luck ;-)

#47035 September 15th, 2006 at 01:29 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
those roots may or may not be from the current bushes...cutting them and removing them is a pain in the tush - can't do much else tho if you want to plant stuff!! i've got the same problem and i just keep removing sections of root as i go along.

if you want or need to redo all the soil in one shot, then do so. what i've done is amended a spot when i was going to plant something.

i also use the licorice root mulch - it breaks down over time nicely and each spring, i turn over the top layer and work it into the soil and then put down a new layer of it. so, i've basically amended all the beds...just in a lazier way wink

the type of mulch you have now doesn't break down too well, i don't think...and as longy said, doesn't look as nice as some others...altho, if you like it, then continue using it smile

i chose licorice root because it doesn't wash away and it continues to look nice even after it's been down for a couple weeks...the added benefit is how it gradually breaks down over time and can be worked into the soil base.

#47036 September 15th, 2006 at 09:23 AM
A
OP Offline
A
Thank you all for your comments. So, it looks like I need to do the following:

step 1 is to take up the mulch (I'm also going to trash the rocks). Is now a good time to trim my hedges?

Step 2: I need to work on pulling up roots. (it's going to be a pain, but I have to do it)

Step 3: put down some compost

#47037 September 15th, 2006 at 05:28 PM
Step 4: remulch.
Now is fine to trim your hedges.

#47038 October 11th, 2006 at 11:15 AM
S
S
i like the flower beds, what all are you gonna put in it? i can see lots of pretty flowers in there! wink i cant realy see anything wrong with your soil, your bushes are so nice and green! as for mulch, use what ever you like, i stick with a more cattage garden style, so its usaly leaves and grass clippings! grinnnn laugh suits my garden! and me!
send us some pics and let us know how your doing!

#47039 October 14th, 2006 at 09:18 PM
N
N
Have you cosidered making an iris bed; from what you've shown, there isn't much more that can be done for that spot.

[Linked Image]

Iris pallida , or your everyday garden variety, is pretty much a low-maintenance flower which should do fine there.
Either that or pave it over in a tasteful way, and set out potted plants.

[Linked Image]

#47040 October 14th, 2006 at 09:40 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Is there parking along that curb? If so I would probably just put pretty stepping stone along the edge so people can get out of the car without stepping into a garden. There really isn't any additional space to put anything other than a ground cover from what I can see. Atleast not if there is parking there. If not then I would go with bulbs from 18 inches down to some of the shorter crocus' so that you have something blooming most of the growing season anyway. I wouldn't go for too talk because you want to be able to see the bushes too.

One cautionary note. Some azleas have big roots and shouldn't be planted close to the foundation because they can cause problems. Just a thought.

Link Copied to Clipboard