This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#46933 December 23rd, 2006 at 07:07 AM
OP Offline
The powdery mildew spray I've been using on one of my container roses isn't helping at all.
What will get rid of the mildew?
This rose is a big favorite, and is called a Shenandoah.
Help !!!

#46934 December 24th, 2006 at 04:01 AM
A
A
It's really very difficult to get rid of mildew once you get it. Preventing it is the key by using a spray on a weekly basis beginning in early spring as soon as you see new growth. Since you are in a warmer zone, I would recommend removing all the infected leaves and any mulch and leaf debris that is under the rose. Then spray on a weekly basis. The other option it to do heavy pruning (you'll still want to clean up under it) and then start a spraying program.

#46935 December 24th, 2006 at 05:01 AM
OP Offline
GUESS WHAT !
I read somewhere in this forum about baking soda for mildew.
Last night I put a handful in a spray bottle of water, and coated the plant thoroughly.
Before the sun hit it this morning, I showered off the baking soda crust-believe it or not-no more mildew AT ALL !!!

#46936 December 24th, 2006 at 06:34 AM
you can also plant garlic at base of roses.Mine will bloom this spring if need any bulbils.mines white and gets offsets on top where flowers were.I keep them arund my roses cause of where I live& use society garlic also& marigolds& calendula will help too.And yes bakeing soda works..addd a lil dishsoap like dawn antibacterial for more added benifits.A sulpher based spray is a good program to use for spraying or neem oil.I use neem oil

as to causes....besides humidity if your useing a high nitrogen fertilizer it keeps your prosperous from giveing protection to your plant.

My mother in law keeps telling me I should grow more roses like I use too.At one time I had over 100 roses.Least I figured how to propagate Aloha.

#46937 December 24th, 2006 at 06:41 AM
Also....you can mix bakeingsoda with the neem oil& dishsoap.I do for the citris& the spring spray of the beds.the mix helps hold it to the leaves.

for 1 gallon
2TBS neem oil or horticulture oil
4 tsp bakeing soda
2 TBS dish soap
one gallon jug with water

This will treat...LOTS of things.I pretty much use this& an insecticide& thats it.only thing it won't kill is snails& grasshopers& if you let the wasps live....they;'ll eat your grass hoppers& left over beer will get the snails or dust some salt off margarita p or you can squash.

#46938 December 24th, 2006 at 09:06 AM
Ohh Thanks for this topic Deborah And thank njoynit for that reciepe i have all the above and now I will mix it up and put to use My roses go thru this every late spring and between late summer and fall I usually only have a 6 week window where there is NOT blackspot or fungus of some kind!! This year I'll start in early with treatment,, And like Alan said Always clean out from around the bottom I always cut off infected leaves and thro away, and clean and sterilze shears brfore I go to the next rose bush. Oh I also thin out the center some what so more air can circulate.

#46939 December 26th, 2006 at 08:02 PM
I have humidity year round just about,plus that demonic dog Duke.I think he's plowed my masterpiece rose .I guess I'll repair yet another boo-boo(That his dad did,but it actually flowered better afterwards& is still bandaged)just what I love thorns in my thumbs.When I was further up north had aphids,Hard to say now that have them garlics at base of um& marigolds...

#46940 December 27th, 2006 at 12:39 AM
This year marigold's will be planted ! Do these get planted near or around the base of roses?? Are garlic started with seeds or bulbs and which garlic is best???

#46941 December 27th, 2006 at 05:03 AM
The best way to get rid of all aphids, slugs, snails and anything else that eats your plants is very easy!!!
Just make a garlic solution, a clove of garlic in water......... put through a blender!
Then add it to watering can and water all your plants in early spring or when ever they come up in your area.........
That will last all the growing season!
On things like Hostas, it will even make the leaves shiny!!
Before you ask......... no the garden doesnt smell of garlic!
Best of all it all natural and organic!!

Mark

#46942 December 27th, 2006 at 09:07 AM
Mark!!Now That is a simple solution!!!

#46943 December 27th, 2006 at 10:03 AM
OP Offline
What's neem oil?
What's a neem?

#46944 December 27th, 2006 at 09:14 PM
Diane

Very simple and very affective!!!!!!

#46945 December 28th, 2006 at 12:32 PM
neem comes from a tree.Its a naturally grown insecticide. Lowe's does carry the pint sized bottles& my pint lasts me about 3 years.I'm not quiet sure....but believe I paid about $7 for it.

Here is a page that will list some Neem info for you.It also has many health benfits.If your back gets real sore can add some to an oil and massage your back and will hurt less.its good for skin infections,lice,arthritis...plus it makes your leafs shine real pretty.(My lemon tree may not give me lemons...but it ain't got scale or whiteflys& has pretty shiney leaves)

Angel
I take my garlic off sets and spread them about where needed.I'm not sure it matters which garlic.My marigolds we're set about 4-6 inches from base of rose.when I send you more stuff......I'll send you some garlic.I'll just grab a pinch from each one..lol Some garlic does set set.Chives will work also& can be grown from seed(chives are good for apple& peach tree.it stops something...I know alot of help that was)

#46946 December 29th, 2006 at 08:55 AM
Cool Njoynit!!! and I have Neem concentrate too Never heard of the garlic water but I'll try that too !!!<<-- sounds very simple and I have marigold seeds soooooo With you and Mark helping me along here My roses' should flourish without fungus and insects this spring'summer!! thumbup thumbup thumbup

#46947 December 29th, 2006 at 09:21 AM
OP Offline
Thanks-I've never seen neem oil but I can look for it next time I'm at a nursery or HD.

Link Copied to Clipboard