This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#46773 April 20th, 2006 at 11:57 AM
Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
I have this really sick looking (probably just old) Bergenia that I want to clean up, if I can. I think I'd have just yanked the whole thing out, cuz it looks so awful, if I hadn't have accidentally broken a piece of it off last year (& said, "sorry!" as I shoved the broken piece into the dirt, because I didn't have my "weed bag" handy!) ...and now I notice that I have a brand new little plant there! Duh I'm wondering if there is a only certain time of year that doing that will work, or if I can break off more "meaty" parts & have them root for me now. [Linked Image]

#46774 April 20th, 2006 at 03:48 PM
Hi patty s.I have always been told.Any perennial plant that booms in the spring is best de vided or grown from cuttings in early fall.And any perennial that blooms in the fall is best de vided or grown from cuttings in early spring.Hope this helps.Your friend in gardening.Mike57

#46775 April 21st, 2006 at 08:50 AM
Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Mike. That sounds like something that will be easy to remember & it also makes sense, when you think about it. (Although I don't quite know where my Bergenia fits in there, as it bloomed in January!! laugh Maybe it just doesnt care, so I'm going to try doing it now, while the spring rains are coming in, & hope that roots will set down before the dryness of summer.)

I'll come back here & let you know if it worked. Thanks again, & have a terrific summer! flw

#46776 April 21st, 2006 at 10:44 PM
HI Patty sounds like a plan to me go for it.Let us know how it works out for you and good luck with it.Your friend in gardening.Mike57

Link Copied to Clipboard