This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#46003 October 2nd, 2006 at 11:01 PM
OP Offline
I just recently noticed a little tree in the shade area on the side of my house. When I went to get a closer look at it I realized that it is growing out the a root from the big fur tree. It's abviously a shade plant but I have no idea what it is. I do like it and it looks nice back there, I just never knew a small tree could grow out of a root from another big tree. I'll take a picture of it when I get home from work today and put it in mystery plants to see if I can identify it. I thought it was a neat discovery, it looks very healthy and I haven't done anything to it at all. flw

#46004 October 4th, 2006 at 08:54 AM
OP Offline

#46005 October 4th, 2006 at 06:48 PM
J
J
You need to post some larger pics than those, lol. Are you sure it's not just a sucker from the large root?

#46006 October 5th, 2006 at 07:14 AM
OP Offline
Sorry, I'll try this again. I'm sure it's something different than the large tree. The large tree is some kind of fir tree and the one growing out of it's root is very different.

Here is a pic of the leaves
[Linked Image]

Here is the little tree
[Linked Image]

Here is where it's growing from
[Linked Image]

I apologize if the pics don't end up right, again. Photobucket has changed since I last used it and it's confusing me.

#46007 October 5th, 2006 at 09:54 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
are you sure that root actually belongs to the fir tree???

is it possible there was some other bush in that spot that has been cut down - and the stump and/or part of the root system was left?

when i bought my house, the previous owners had cut down a bush in the back yard...the second summer i was here, a shoot started growing out of the stump. i let it grown and now i've got the bush back.

could be the same thing here.

the leaves look very familiar and so does the growth and branching pattern. looks just like what's in my neighbors yard - i have no idea what it's called though.

i DO know that it spreads pretty well...i have to cut back whatever grows through my fence two or three times during the summer. seems to me (not that i've looked too closely because the fence is in the way) that it will root if part of the branches touch the soil...

#46008 October 7th, 2006 at 11:01 PM
R
R
looks like a chinese elm or a zelkovia.

it probably is growing through the root rather than out of it.

Link Copied to Clipboard