This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#4588 August 7th, 2005 at 03:26 AM
OP Offline
hi! my dad just came home with a plastic grocery bag filled with yellow squash that a friend gave him....got any ideas about what to do with it??? thanks!

#4589 August 8th, 2005 at 10:03 PM
Miss Jamie,

I use this one ...

Yellow Squash Casserole
------------------------
1/2 cup plain lowfat yogurt
1/2 cup lowfat cottage cheese
1/4 cup grated parmesean cheese
1/4 tsp dried whole thyme
2 eggs-beaten
Vegetable cooking spray
1 cup sliced onion
3 cups sliced yellow squash
1/4 soft whole wheat bread crumbs, divided

Combine yogurt,cottage cheese, parmesan cheese, thyme and eggs in a bowl; set aside.
Coat skillet with cooking spray- place over medium heat till hot, saute onion until tender.drain and set aside. Place 1 cup squash in a 2 -Qt casserole with spray. Top with 1/3 onion and yogurt mixture. Repeat procedure with remaining squash ,onion and yogurt mixture.
Sprinkle with bread crumbs, cover and bake at 350* F for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake until top is browned.
Serves 6

#4590 August 8th, 2005 at 10:22 PM
Looks good Nana!

I like mine simple. I either steam it or skewer it and grill it.

#4591 August 8th, 2005 at 10:57 PM
I do that too - but if feeding a bunch and I so that a lot this is a good one... and the kids will eat it this way- looks less like a veggie to them I guess...LOL!

#4592 August 8th, 2005 at 11:31 PM
Well if they will eat it, then it works!

#4593 August 20th, 2005 at 02:58 AM
S
S
Ciao Jamie,

Here's a recipe for frittata, an Italian version of the omelette. We live on this during a normal summer. This year, zucchini got started late due to bed expansion so we're just now getting our first zucchini. You can use any summer squash for this, though. Do use fresh herbs, dried ones don't really cut it for this.

Makes 4 large servings

6 eggs, whisked
all-purpose olive oil
1 medium onion, any colour, diced
1 medium or 5" of a large zucchini or summer squash, diced
fresh herbs such as basil, oregano, rosemary, tarragon, thyme
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Saute onion and squash in olive oil in a 12" skillet until al dente, not mushy. Add egg to cover and lower heat to low/med. Add herbs and season with salt/pepper. As egg sets, lift to allow raw egg in the middle to cook underneath until the top is barely wet. Invert a plate on top of the skillet and with one hand on the plate, invert the skillet so the frittata is now on the plate. Slide frittata back into the skillet so the top can finish cooking. This should only take a minute or two. Divide into 4 portions and enjoy.

Buon appetito,
Julianna

Link Copied to Clipboard