This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#45074 November 16th, 2006 at 11:07 PM
B
OP Offline
B
I posted this tip previously, but thought I'd do it again. Actually, I had to search for it because the deer started sampling my daughter's new fruit trees and it occurred to me that others might also benefit.

This might be helpful.I got it from a local gardener who got it from a farmer. She swears by it and has used it without fail for many years. It may have appeared here before, but it's new to me.

Break a dozen eggs in a container and beat them to a froth. Let them sit for days until there's a good strong sulfur smell. Mix with a gallon of water in a sprayer and mist around the problem areas. The plants don't have to be drenched, and it doesn't wash away with the first rainfall. Eventually, the deer simply stopped coming near her yard altogether.

#45075 November 18th, 2006 at 12:18 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
variations on that have been mentioned, but this time of year, it bears mentioning again! thank you kissies

#45076 November 19th, 2006 at 12:52 AM
Does this have a very strong smell to humans as well?
I have a 21 tree arbovitae hedge that borders my property - it is deer candy unfortunately, but winter is the worst time of all. I just don't want to hear from my unpleasant neighbor about the smell, you know?

#45077 November 19th, 2006 at 01:20 AM
I bought a powder from the feed store that's made from egg silods & hot peppers, & you mix it with water & vegetable oil or detergent. (The oil/detergent helps it stick to foliage.)
It's called "Not Tonight Deer"! www.nottonightdeer.com

It smells rancid in the sprayer Lynne, but after it's applied you don't notice it. I only use it in the summertime, as even though the oil helps the solution stick to plants, it rains so much here during the other seasons, that it's just a waste of money to keep applying it. (When I clean my hair brush, I put the hair on my rose bushes... deer don't hair in their food any better than anyone else does!) laugh

I've got a globe Arbovitae that the deer have NEVER touched! Duh Go figure!

#45078 November 23rd, 2006 at 10:14 AM
A
A
Thank You for the "recipe" for the deer proof spray. I have tried the spray from the nursery (at $15 a bottle) and also the human hair (my sister is a beautician and swept up those clippings for me to try) and those techniques may have worked, it's just the matter of having to do it every year. Those deer ate my arbovitae terribly and I replaced them with Wigelia (sp?) and they haven't touched those. My white pine are the most susceptible in the spring when the new growths appear. I am definitely going to use this "egg" treatment and see if it works. The scotch pine I planted are doing wonderfully, however.
Thanks for the tip!
Annette wavey

Link Copied to Clipboard