This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#44030 October 26th, 2006 at 01:52 AM
OP Offline
I was given a potted fig tree this summer, and now that it is getting very cold up here in Southern Ontario, I have brought it inside to be free from frosty nights that are definately upon us.

I have been reading about these trees as I love figs to eat, I love the leaf span of these trees, and I hear they self propogate easily.

BUT .... I live in a zone 4, a frigid winter land for about 5 months of the year, at least. Ground freezes and temps are a usual of minus 10 celcius to a minus 20 celcius constantly during the winter.

Anyway, I have it front of my westerly faceing window in my living room.

It has since done just like all the other trees in my yard, turned colour and dropped its leaves.

Question: Is this normal for a Ficus of this strain?

Where should I overwinter my Ficus for my winter? (I do have a dark cooler basement area)

Would putting it into darkness and letting it go dormant be ok for this plant? Can I leave it as that until my spring weather comes back?

In a zone 4, could I plant it outside in a sheltered area and hope that it would be fine come the next spring growth, or would I literally be killing this plant?

Yes, we get snow, lots of it, a below freezing temperatures for a whole 4 - 5 month season.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. smile

#44031 October 26th, 2006 at 07:48 PM
From what I have read ficus do NOT like change.. They like to stay "live" in the same area.. Moving them around will cause leaf loss.. But if it is happy in the new area... New leaves should start to sprout pretty soon!!

I have a weeping fig Ficus Benjamnia and it is doing great.. as long as I leave it in the same window

#44032 October 26th, 2006 at 09:03 PM
P
P
Hi Cece,

Ficus carica is hardy to 12*F to 15*F if fully dormant. If your temperature stays in the -10*C [=14*F], your brown turkey fig will be okay, but not at -20*C [=-4*F].

It has since done just like all the other trees in my yard, turned colour and dropped its leaves.
Yes, it is normal for the leaves to turn yellow and drop about this time. The tree is preparing for dormancy.

The fig tree is well suited in containers. I have 7 fig trees in 17" to 22" plastic pots. I have the Black Mission and Green Kadota.

Anyway, I have it front of my westerly faceing window in my living room.
I think that you can leave it there until spring. It needs only 300 hours of chilling.

... and I hear they self propogate easily.
They are easily propagated from dormant hardwood cuttings. Choose a one-year old, fully mature shoots 3/8" to 5/8" in diameter and 8 to 12 inches long. Stick it upright in the soil, leaving one node exposed.

#44033 December 5th, 2006 at 10:15 AM
ok what i have learned about ficus, is they need alot of humidity and moisture and they cant be exposed to frost they need lots of humidity and moisture to survive but some are woodland resistent and many can tolerate cold weather
depends on the climate so just make sure you have enough moisture in the soil and that should be ok.

Link Copied to Clipboard