This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#42373 October 13th, 2006 at 12:06 PM
OP Offline
Ok folks, this is my dilemma...I have just put in a new patio and garden wall. I have a space about 8x4 ft that is to be a "garden area". that is, if i can ever figure out what to plant there. it is in full shade all day long. and i love Duh

#42374 October 13th, 2006 at 07:58 PM
R
R
I love astilbe, but it doesn't bloom long- there are tons of colors to choose from, hydrangea (niko blue) is beautiful too. A great ground cover is ajuga - it's leaves are a georgous purle color. You may want to put a couple of gold hostas in there as well. And don't forget to plant a million bulbs for spring color! I also like dead nettle as a ground cover, it's verigated on the leaves and has a pretty purple flower. Rhododendrons and Azaleas are a nice choice for a back drop (they will give you some height to work with) as will the hydrangeas. Iris's will be good for the spring as well and there are many colors to choose from.

#42375 October 13th, 2006 at 08:00 PM
R
R
Oh, and I almost forgot, buy a bunch of caladium bulbs - georgius foiage in every color!!

#42376 October 14th, 2006 at 08:27 AM
Night blooming jasmine?
The fragrance drifts through the windows !

#42377 October 14th, 2006 at 08:28 AM
Oops, just re-read and saw that you want color.
Lantana?

#42378 October 14th, 2006 at 08:30 AM
Now I see that you said shade.
Deb, too much Benadryl... shocked laugh

#42379 October 14th, 2006 at 09:00 AM
Bill has put together a list of plants that love shade. This may help you get started.

Shade Plants

#42380 October 14th, 2006 at 10:27 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
there's a beautiful fern that would be good for that spot...the japanese painted fern.

i really want one of the purple varieties...i don't have enough shade for it though...

#42381 October 14th, 2006 at 06:30 PM
Joclyn the purple ones do good in partial shade as well.. I have one and just love it..

You could go with bleeding hearts,canteebury bells.coral bells, bell flowers,astilbe,Hydrangia,lenten rose...

Is there some way you can post a picture of the area?

#42382 October 17th, 2006 at 02:41 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
spring fever has definitely given you a great list of shade loving plants for that area. I hope you enjoy it.

#42383 October 17th, 2006 at 04:27 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
spring, i only have one area that gets shade...for about an hour a day and that's just not enough ters

maybe the chinaberry i transplanted (thx, netwiz!) will take hold and grow well enough to provide enough shade...

anyway, back to sandra's question! if you could post a pic, that really would be helpful! and does the area get any sun at all? if so, how many hours a day?

hydrangea (a bush) do very well in the shade (there are a ton of varieties, too). some clematis (a vine) also can do well in the shade (as long as they get some sun). and you can never go wrong with hosta (there are hundrends of varieties). coral bells are another that i can't have - they are absolutely lovely!!

here's a list that tammy (tkhooper) came up with earlier this summer when i posted a similar question looking for ideas for a neighbor:

Acanthopanax sieboldiana 'Variegatus'-Acanthopanax
Acer circinatum-Maple, Vine
Actaea racemosa-Black Cohosh
Actaea simplex-Bugbane
Astilbe c. 'Superba'-False Spirea
Astilboides tabularis-Astilboides
Athyrium filix-femina-Lady Fern, Uncrested
Chasmanthium latifolium-Northern Sea Oats
Corylopsis sinensis-Chinese Winter Hazel
Fuchsia magellanica-Fuchsia, Hardy
Mahonia aquifolium-Oregon Grape
Matteuccia struthiopteris 'The King'-Jumbo Ostrich Fern