This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#4234 March 14th, 2007 at 05:51 PM
webwise Offline OP
OP Offline
Why would anyone want to post a recipe for Yorkshire pudding?

Yes even someone from Yorkshire, England?

The truth is that very very few people have tasted the real thing. I was once invited out to dinner in, (when I was at Uni) London (37 years ago) and, in honor of the fact that their guest was a Yorkshire man, they served Yorkshire pudding. Now this was in the days before you could go down to the supermarket and buy frozen Yorkshire puddings. AND THEY ARE HORRIBLE TOO.

The pudding I was served was made with self raising flour (this is where I have problems because British flour names and American flour names are different. But we will get there - trust me, I'm a Limey). So the first thing to understand is that, in a true Yorkshire pudding, the raising agent is eggs, not baking powder, not baking soda not bicarbonate of soda just EGGS.

So when I talk about flour I mean a flour with NOTHING added. I think it may be what the US calls all-purpose flour. We call it plain flour, not bread flour, not cake flour, just flour. If you make it with flour that contains raising agents, what happens is, it hits a ridiculously hot oven and goes up. It then gets so light it just collapses and what you have is a mess of dough (cooked dough, but still a mess of dough. That is what happened to me with my London meal.

The only other thing to mention is that the Yorkshire pudding was actually first cooked in France in the 17th century clp

P.S. To freeze, no problem. Just let them go cold in the cooking tray before putting in a bag.

#4235 March 14th, 2007 at 05:58 PM
They look like what we call "dinner rolls" in America. Do they taste like bread? I'm all confused. Puddings here are creamy things you have for dessert.

#4236 March 14th, 2007 at 06:51 PM
webwise Offline OP
OP Offline
No Manda. They definitely aren't bread. They are more like a very light, fluffy pancake. Puddings here can also be creamy things you have for dessert also they can be spongy things which you have for desert or rice things which you have for dessert.

We too have 'dinner rolls' which are just bread in a fancy shape. We also have the famous puddings of Scotland. Haggis (Great chieftain of the pudding race as Rabbie Burns put it) which is made from all sorts of horrible minced sheep innards with oatmeal but actually tastes quite nice. White pudding which is mainly oatmeal and fat and the famous Lancashire (Yorkshire's main rival) delicacy - black pudding, which is congealed pig's blood solidified with fat and herbs and eaten with eggs, bacon, mushrooms, tomato etc. for breakfast.

At least in Yorkshire we have a more civilized county pudding.

Don't worry about the name pudding. You could Google it and get some history of Yorkshire pudding. Or you could put your worries behind you and make some and try them with strawberry jelly to begin with (not to begin the meal - that mixture is a dessert). Then get adventurous and try some savory puddings.

#4237 March 14th, 2007 at 07:00 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Drool, drool, drool!

My mom, Matriarch on here, makes Yorkshire pudding sometimes! We're originally from England transplanted to the US about 23 years ago.

And yep it's not really a pudding at all....but they are so good thumbup ...there is nothing in the US that I can compare them to. Unitl you've had them you don't know what you're missing!

#4238 March 14th, 2007 at 09:59 PM
These sound very good! kissies

#4239 March 15th, 2007 at 02:03 AM
Originally posted by webwise:
Haggis (Great chieftain of the pudding race as Rabbie Burns put it) which is made from all sorts of horrible minced sheep innards with oatmeal but actually tastes quite nice.
Now there is something for the brave at heart to try.

Except in this county you can't buy all the ingredients to go in it. i,e, Sheep Lungs. Yummmm!!!

1 sheep's lung (illegal in the U.S.; may be omitted if not available)
1 sheep's stomach
1 sheep heart
1 sheep liver
1/2 lb fresh suet (kidney leaf fat is preferred)
3/4 cup oatmeal (the ground type, NOT the Quaker Oats type!)
3 onions, finely chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 cup stock
Wash lungs and stomach well, rub with salt and rinse. Remove membranes and excess fat. Soak in cold salted water for several hours. Turn stomach inside out for stuffing.

Cover heart and liver with cold water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Chop heart and coarsely grate liver. Toast oatmeal in a skillet on top of the stove, stirring frequently, until golden. Combine all ingredients and mix well. Loosely pack mixture into stomach, about two-thirds full. Remember, oatmeal expands in cooking.

Press any air out of stomach and truss securely. Put into boiling water to cover. Simmer for 3 hours, uncovered, adding more water as needed to maintain water level. Prick stomach several times with a sharp needle when it begins to swell; this keeps the bag from bursting. Place on a hot platter, removing trussing strings. Serve with a spoon. Ceremoniously served with "neeps, tatties and nips" -- mashed turnips, mashed potatoes, nips of whiskey.

Enjoy!!!

#4240 March 15th, 2007 at 02:03 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
thanks for the recipe. i might try them one of these years... in the meantime, loz, tell faye to heat up her oven next time i'm coming up laugh laugh thumbup

#4241 March 15th, 2007 at 02:14 AM
If I ever get to Edinbough I am going to have to try Haggis!!

#4242 March 15th, 2007 at 02:29 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think I'll pass on the haggis! The thought that I used to eat and like Black Pudding when I was a kid is enough for me! laugh

#4243 March 15th, 2007 at 04:45 AM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
I like Tapioca pudding.

#4244 March 15th, 2007 at 07:50 AM
webwise Offline OP
OP Offline
I tried tapioca too Thornius but somehow it just wasn't right with the roast beef and gravy - and haggis wasn't too good with syrup.

#4245 March 15th, 2007 at 10:49 AM
Is this the war off the roses, or what, who said we are not civilized, Lancashire has a lot off great recipe. My Gran was from Yorkshire and my Aunt and uncle lived in Harrogate, so as far as recipes go I had the best off both worlds, So come on over and I will give you the best yorkshire oudding in the world. thumbup wink wink

#4246 March 15th, 2007 at 11:15 AM
webwise Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Faye. I never believed that the Wars of the roses finished in 1485 at Bosworth Field or even at Stoke in 1487. Us Yorkies will never, ever be civilized. :p laugh

Anyway, I quite like black pudding considering what it is made of. I simply say that, in common with haggis and pease pudding (blimey I've introduced another one that no one Stateside will have heard of) that it isn't all that brilliant with jam (jelly).

But be careful. I may just take up your invite next time I'm over there. grinnnn

Link Copied to Clipboard