This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#42324 July 9th, 2005 at 03:40 AM
Triss Offline OP
OP Offline
To all who collect these seeds,

Do you all just save the pods or actually empty them and filter out the TINY black seeds?

I was really surprised at how small the seeds were when I pulled of the few dry pods I have on my plants today.

Triss

#42325 July 9th, 2005 at 03:44 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
If you think those are small wait until you go after the portulaca lol. They are smaller yet. And yes I do crack open the pods and then just put the seeds in a packet for trade or use next year. I've found that in some cases the pods are empty (sad graemlin). What color do you have? I Have the miniature red and yellow and I am loving them.

#42326 July 9th, 2005 at 03:55 AM
Triss Offline OP
OP Offline
I got mine from the nursery so don't know if they are minature or what size wise but we got yellow, white and shade of red/burgundy. I like them but got them cuz the kids love them.

And yes, I got a lot of pods that were empty. Glad I am not the only one making sure the seeds I collect for trading will be only seed. It is actually kinda fun and is making good use of my baby food jars.

#42327 July 9th, 2005 at 04:24 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I'm a brand new gardener so I want to see everything. You should have seen me searching and searching for what the seed pods looked like cause I didn't have a clue. And then when I found them the author of the article likened them to skulls uck. lol.

My miniatures get approximately 10 inches tall and they fall over and then they create a bunch of 3 to 4 inch spires that grow bunches and bunches of blooms. So 4 of them grouped together look like a miniature bush. My camera won't take a good picture of them although I keep trying. I have mine in shade and they are loving it. I don't know what they would do in full sun which is what they are suppose to prefer.

I worry about the seeds I collect. Are they viable did I do it right on and on and on. Fortunately with this forum if I mess up I know someone will set me straight and I'll have a chance to correct the error.

Right now my main worry is the zinnia. I've been collecting the all green seeds that still have petals attached and I'm beginning to think I am off base there. Wish I knew for sure.

#42328 July 9th, 2005 at 05:58 AM
Triss Offline OP
OP Offline
I am pretty sure that all the seeds need to be dry before you collect them. That is why it is so hard to get the snap dragon seeds.

Don't worry about asking too many questions. Last year when my morning glory bloomed, it took about a half a dozen pics for me to see what I was looking for. And who knows how many posts. But it was all worth it to collect the seeds in the end.

I dont think I even planted the zinnia seeds I got last year. I got such a late start this year.

#42329 July 23rd, 2005 at 04:01 PM
D
D
seeds should be brown and sort of crispy on the mother plant to be ripe. At times, one has to check daily, or the seed pod will split open, and the seeds go all over the place. But if picked green, they are sterile, and will not make a new plant. One way to collect is put the stem cuttings with ripe seed heads on a white sheet. Let it set overnight and next day shake the plant, and most of the ripe seeds will fall out. Put them in labeled containers, so you know what they are. I have been at this for 20 yr. and still can be fooled into thinking I will remember what that seed is. Several weeks down the road, I have forgot. A old tea strainer helps in sorting out small seeds, put seeds & pods in strainer over a jar & seeds will fall out. I do that with foxglove and poppy also.
Darlene

#42330 July 26th, 2005 at 11:12 PM
Ok can i cut the entire flower down and wait for it to brown and then shake my seeds out? My snapdraggons have a ton of seed pods. I have been checking daily and they are still green. The neighbors have snapdraggons of every color they said take the seeds please we dont want any flowers next year. So I have been watching theirs too and yes still green. I just thought maybe I can cut the stem at the base let it dry and then pick my seeds out.

#42331 July 26th, 2005 at 11:52 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
The seeds haven't grown yet if the pods are still green.

#42332 August 11th, 2005 at 10:14 PM
Oh! I wish I'd read this thread yesterday! I pulled all the dry pods with hundreds of tiny little black seeds off my Columbine, then went an extra step further and peeled the green pods back and mixed all those seeds in with them. confused The majority of the pods were dried out so most should be viable I think.

I've never grown anything from seed before and now I'm wondering what I do with them. Duh If anybody here could help me out, I'd be so grateful.

I believe I'll need to start them in the house at some point but that's all I know. Do I put individual tiny little seeds in one peatpot each? When in the year would I start them? What do I grow them in? Peat, soil, a mixture of stuff? Do I push the seeds in or just set them on top? Artificial light or Sun? Damp or soaked? grinnnn

Thanks so much for any insight you can share with me.

~Suzy~

#42333 August 11th, 2005 at 10:51 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Columbine need cool in order to grow so they are usually planted outside in the fall. I'm not sure about the depth. But someone with much more experience than I have will probably know.

#42334 August 12th, 2005 at 12:24 AM
OH! Well 'cool' is something we have an abundance of here. That sounds much easier then. But I wonder if in the fall, if I put seeds in something like egg cartons maybe, then placed them in the ground, if I'd be able to bring them inside to give them a head start in the spring?

Summers are pretty short here and it would be nice to try to give them a head start to grow and mature sooner. Is this what the greenhouses do? Because to see them there at the same time of year, they're always leaps and bounds ahead of what I have in the ground.

Just curious and learning,
~Suzy~

#42335 August 12th, 2005 at 01:20 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
hopefully one of the experts will come by to help you out. That is way over my head. I'm just a beginner. Sorry I can't be of any help on that one.

#42336 August 3rd, 2006 at 01:57 PM
Triss Offline OP
OP Offline
I know that with columbines, you can put them in the fridge for 6 weeks to get their chill period. If it is cold enough where you are, I bet you could put your planted seeds outside for 6 weeks for their chill and then into the house and to sprout before your actual spring gets there.

#42337 August 8th, 2006 at 03:38 PM
when I was looking for a way to collect columbine seeds, I saw a video (on BBC?) where the lasy said you can pick green columbine pods as long as when you peel them back you have black seeds, I've done that before and those germinate fine. They the seeds are green...

#42338 October 24th, 2006 at 10:23 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
flw

#42339 October 24th, 2006 at 12:17 PM
Tammy, I sent my package out today and you should have it on Thursday. If not, I have a confirmation number and can follow it that way.

#42340 October 24th, 2006 at 12:18 PM
whops, somehow I got scrambled and this was posted in the wrong forum. Sorry folks!

Link Copied to Clipboard