This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#41632 November 26th, 2006 at 09:01 PM
Wrennie Offline OP
OP Offline
I just received iris tubers. Is it too late to plant them? I'm in zone 5. I dont have their final bed ready yet so It would have to be a temporary spot. Can I save them in the fridge like a tulip or daffodil? Leave them dry in a cool spot in the house? Pack them in peat moss? Duh

#41633 November 27th, 2006 at 12:32 AM
Wrennie, you can plant Iris any time... but if you wait for too long & don't get them in until spring, they might not get their roots settled in soon enough to give you any blossoms. (Mine bloom in late April/early May.) They'd be better off in the ground, but they're pretty draught tolerant, so if you're going to get them in within the next month or so, you don't really have to do anything special with them. I have some in my garage that I haven't gotten around to getting planted. They've been there for a month & still look good.

Remember, when planting Iris, dont completely bury the rhizome. Leave the tops exposed, & make sure you put them in a place where they'll get good drainage. If I'm not mistaken, Iris in your area are susceptible to root rot if their feet are too wet.

(Oops! you didn't say what type of Iris they are... I'm assuming that they're Tall Bearded.) Duh If they're bulbs & not rhizomes, you need to totally bury those.

#41634 November 27th, 2006 at 02:27 AM
Wrennie Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Patty. They are rhizomes. thumbup

Link Copied to Clipboard