This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#41400 January 18th, 2006 at 09:34 AM
T
OP Offline
T
i didn't want to hijack the previous threads about lilacs, but after reading all the info posted about them and always wanting one/some, i have to ask. i have been told by a "professional" nursery guy that i could not grow lilacs here because it gets to hot. is that true? i mean it is hot/humid but it couldn't be any worse than alabama could it really?
Txgurlcop
"crossing fingers hoping he was wrong"

#41401 January 18th, 2006 at 10:35 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well I planted 3 lilacs...<<about 2 years ago, I think>>1 white one and 2 purple ones..The purple ones died over the winter...But I think they died because my soil was too acidic...They were in the sun ALLLL day.

I believe my lilacs died because I did not baby them the first year..I use to have the phylosophy, "buy it, plant it anywhere, don't do anything to help it, if it survives it was meant to be...Duh...I should have babied them the first year...Now this spring I am going to plant 2 purple lilacs and I WILL baby them so I have the lovely purple lilacs I want...Thanks to this forum I have learned a lot..

The white one is 1 or 2 years old now..I can't remember exactly when I planted them. It is 8 feet tall.

My opinion of your "Professionals" views is "poppyco*k" !!!!

plant them...baby them, remember they do not like acidic soil....Put lots of mulch around the bottom to keep the sun from drying them out...Keep insects, above ground insects and in ground insects, away from them.

I had a nursery "professional" tell me Star Jasmine would not do well here...I planted it anyway....6 years later my star jasmine is growing out of control...

#41402 January 18th, 2006 at 11:10 PM
R
R
You could also try the ceanothus family. They are commonly called California lilac. They are drought + heat tolerant.

#41403 January 19th, 2006 at 07:48 AM
T
OP Offline
T
thank guys, you know i should have figured something about him because i was wanting to buy them from him he sold them HERE....just goes to show i'm definetly(sp) not the brightest crayon in the box. shocked lala
i'll go find me somebody that will sell them to me, i'm soo excited!
Txgurlcop

#41404 January 19th, 2006 at 10:20 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here is a link to a mail order nursery that has lilac for $3.50 a plant..

http://www.autumnridgenursery.com/s...;pageIs=3&link=cat&category_id=5

This next link just has different varieties of California lilac..

http://www.laspilitas.com/groups/ceanothus/california_ceanothus.html

#41405 January 20th, 2006 at 07:38 AM
T
OP Offline
T
oui, thank you very much!!! have u ever ordered from 'em? just checking before i order or give my billing info.
Txgurlcop

#41406 January 20th, 2006 at 08:16 AM
txgurlcop, I just wanted to say that if I were you I don't think I'd buy from autumnridgenursery...check this out! ratings for autumn ridge nursery this site shows that that particular nursery has some pretty bad reviews. I just had gotten their catalog and was planning on ordering from them but am having 2nd thoughts now though :p . has anybody here ordered successfully from them? Duh

#41407 January 20th, 2006 at 10:44 AM
wavey HI Txgurlcop you where posting just as i was but heres some imformation that might help you.Oui and MissJamie both have given you some good advice about the lilacs.also RugbyHukr had a good segestion to.There are some very nice varietys that will grow very well in you area.I have a aunt that lives just south of Fort Worth in Crowly Texas and she has a very nice variety of lilacs growing there and has been growing them since i was a very young boy she grows both tree and bush lilacs.I would check out a few nurserys before de siding on which types to plant.Some of the mail order nurserys send poor quality plants and shrubs so i only buy bulbs and seeds from them.Most everything else you can find very healthy plants and shrubs locally in your area if you shop around.
plant lilacs where they will receive at least six hours of sunlight each day.A lot of shade can reduces flowering causing plants to become leggy and increases the chance of powdery mildew problems.Dark flowered lilacs seem to tolerate more shade than lighter colored ones.But do not plant dark blooming lilacs on sites that receive hot afternoon sun which makes the flowers fade quicker.And avoid planting them in high wind locations and very hot areas such as near reflective light such as colored buildings where the buds might be killed or forced to bloom prematurely.lilacs will tolerate a soil with a pH of 6.5 to 8.5 if it is planted in well drained soil.diffrent soil types will sometimes alter the flower colors also.So i say go for it they will grow for you in your area put down a nice layer of mulch around the plant to help retain moister in your area but do not put it against the stalks that will help prevent powdery mildew problems around the base of the plants. Leave a couple of inches between the mulch and the stalks.
lilacs need about 1 1/2 to 2 inches of water per week to the roots during June and July in your area.This is when the buds for the next years blooms being to form.Start decreasing the amount of water in late august or early October to encourage the shrubs to harden the bark tissues for winter.Deep water lilacs in late fall after they are dormant to ensure they have adequate soil moisture during winter.
hope this helps and good luck with your lilacs.your friend in gardening.Mike57 wavey flw flw

#41408 January 20th, 2006 at 10:45 AM
T
OP Offline
T
okay i went and looked at the stuff about them, i may check around here locally. but oui, keep the info coming...i appreciate everything and any advise that i get.
Txgurlcop

#41409 January 20th, 2006 at 11:38 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No I have never ordered fron Autumn Ridge Nursery.
I was planning on ordering some stuff this spring..

I didn't look at their rating...Just the prices...I will still order from them because the prices are too good to pass up...I'll let you know what happens. I ordered trees from Arbor Day (you would think they would be PROFESSIONALS about trees) I gave them instructions to mail them to me in the spring...THEY MAILED THEM in WINTER..With instructions telling me I could not plant them in winter....The trees looked like little sticks WHICH is normal for Nursery plants and came bareroot all cramed in 1 plastic bag. I tried to keep them alive until I could plant them. They all died but one Dogwood. Which is 6 years old now and 1 ft tall...NOT DOING SO GOOD. If you read the comments from all of these complainers they say the Nursery replaces plants. Which is good..Mail ordering plants is not a perfect science...And plants will die...

I bought my original lilac plants from Wal-Mart. Someone on this forum told me they thought the lilac I have is a Persian lilac. Which do well in HEAT. I was planning on buying 2 more purple lilac's from Wal-Mart this year...Not sure if Wal-Mart Nursery has a rating but I bet is is NOT good.

#41410 January 20th, 2006 at 11:52 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have read some more re Autumn Ridge Nursery and forwarded the list of complaints to them. I am waiting for their response...

The positive responses are important to read too. I mean you have to remember there are A LOT more amatuer gardeners out there then knowledgable ones..

You do have better chances with local Nurseries. But plants die that way too...

#41411 January 21st, 2006 at 08:38 AM
T
OP Offline
T
WOW, with all this great information I'm gonna go for it. Thanks for all the information and the time you've taken to help me. I'll let you know when I get them and what I get. Oui, let me know how your order goes, I'm very interested.
Thanks again!
Txgurlcop

#41412 January 21st, 2006 at 10:43 AM
N
N
Hi, Tx: Reality check : You won't grow decent lilacs in Texas! Used to live there and remember my mother's failure at it (a persian one, by the way).
Focus instead on some of those famous Tyler roses and show off some pics for us to drool over ! One of my cousins there has a bush with the most enchanting clusters of miniature cabbage roseblooms I have ever known, growing agaist the west side of her garage.
I relate to your sinature, by the way.

#41413 January 21st, 2006 at 11:31 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
TxGurlCop: Maybe you should just stick with the California lilacs....The Tassajara Blue is very pretty. Or amend the soil around any lilac you plant...

http://www.laspilitas.com/groups/ceanothus/california_ceanothus.html

Mine is planted in Alabama Clay...Only thing I do is put timed released plant food on it..But I am not a Garden Pro <yet>

#41414 January 22nd, 2006 at 12:34 AM
T
OP Offline
T
as far as the soil goes, we basically have sandyloam. i have dug in spots of sugar sand before, and if you know what sugar sand is you know what i'm talking about. i might as well be planting in a kids sand box. but all in all we have good soil. we have goats and where you have goats you have manure and hay. so i have a lot of organic matter on hand after it composts a while.
as far as the tyler rose gardens go, all i can say is wow. i absolutely love that place. the only problem i have is usually leave there and go to chamblees rose nursery and spend way too much money. trying to mimic what i see. yeah i'm a dummy. my daughter is trying to do me a website and pics, so as soon as that up and running i'll let you all know, i'm soooo excited about that. okay ramblin' again, not near enuff coffee
Txgurlcop

#41415 January 22nd, 2006 at 02:31 AM
wavey HI Txgurlcop.Most common lilacs (members of the Syringa vulgaris clan) require a considerable cold period during the winter and don't do very well south of zone 7.but can still grow in zone 6 here is a growing zone map of Texas.
http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/hzm-sm1.html
I to also use to live in Texas in the Fort Worth area so I called my aunt in zone 6 and what she grows there in Texas are as follows.
The Wayside lilac. vulgaris ' Blue Skies' is one that will grow in Texas "Miss Kim" is another one that will grow for you in Texas but it dose not have much fragrance.Chinese lilacs will also grow in Texas Persian lilacs (Syringa persica) is another one she grows in Texas.but you will need to amend your soil because of all the sand in the soil.they will require more water there but they will grow if properly cared for. but the decision will be up to you if you would like to try and grow them there if you decide to try it good luck with them wavey flw flw

#41416 January 22nd, 2006 at 04:31 AM
N
N
Tx, I strongly advise you to grow Texan to avoid being tied to tour garden.
as an alternative to a lilac,check out the Chaste Tree , and get an opinion from a local garden supplier. I saw a lovely specimen used as landscaping in Austin. (near the La Quinta Inn on I35) Quite impressive in full bloom. The picture on in this link doesn't do it justice, as it's every bit as attractive as any lilac.
Furthermore,it won't die on you should you go out of town during the summer for an extended getaway.

#41417 January 22nd, 2006 at 11:17 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Okay I pulled up some articles by googling "How to grow lilac in Texas"

This link has a lilac called the Texas lilac Vitex
"The next Mega Superstar plant for Texas"

http://www.plantanswers.com/vitex.htm

Milbergers Nursery is located in San Antonio TX They have a radio Gardening program for South Texas.

http://www.plantanswers.com/sale.htm

Link Copied to Clipboard