This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#41346 October 16th, 2006 at 07:25 PM
gailo Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a huge tropical hibiscus. I have brought it in for the winter. It no longer fits easily into my house. It is about 9 feet tall and 4 feet wide. If I prune it back now will it damage it? And if I take some of the cuttings and put them in rooting hormone will they root? And if I do that, do I have to use a special potting mix other than a good quality one? I have never done the rooting hormone thing before.

#41347 October 20th, 2006 at 08:08 AM
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
Gailo yes you can trim the top back and also get starts off wht you trimmed off. I never let mine get over 5 foot tall. Sure it is cold where you live now do you have a garage or something you could put it in ? Or was you going to move it into your house. When you take the cutting make sure you dip in rooting hormon and use clean soil. Will look up some info for you and Pm it to you.

#41348 October 22nd, 2006 at 06:59 PM
gailo Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Jimmy. I will try rooting some. And I will definitely trim up the plant, which is already inside. We still have warm days so I have been dragging 3 Meyer lemons, 2 key limes and the hibiscus out for sun every day and in every night. But now I want to set up the grow lights etc. and get them situated for the winter.

Link Copied to Clipboard