This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#41294 April 10th, 2006 at 10:39 AM
OP Offline
hey ya'll! I have some seeds for a couple of nasturtiums and I really want to grow them but I've never grown them before...are they vines? are they invasive? do I need to provide support or anything for them to climb on? any good tips for somebody that's never grown them? should I scarify/stratify them any or just plant them in dirt and water and give sun like any other ol' seed? I can't wait to grow them! (especially the one's I have that are called nasturtium 'peach melba' thumbup )

#41295 April 10th, 2006 at 10:48 AM
I have a nasturtium bag FULL. I planted them last year and they did good. They were kinda of like perennials in my area. Because they didn't die on the first killing frost. But I was tired of them because they were growing in my sunflower side of my garden. So I pulled them. I forgot if they were viney, but I didn't use any supports. They were fine they didn't need any support because they are ground covers. Their leaves get pretty BIG.. LOL..

Anyone else want to add anything else!.. I know there much more!

#41296 April 10th, 2006 at 10:49 AM
They are not like vines, but I guess you could climb them if you put your mind to it.

They are something like 'moonflowers'.

I find nasturtiums grow slowly - for me they do, anyway.

#41297 April 10th, 2006 at 11:00 AM
OP Offline
thanks ya'll!

#41298 April 10th, 2006 at 05:02 PM
Isn't that funny, I DO find them to be vine-like, crawling all over the herb garden. They start off slow, but then they really take off.
I like them, the flower is edible, great on salads, but beware the aphids like them too./ :p

They are annuals and it's very easy to collect seeds from them for next year. thumbup

#41299 April 10th, 2006 at 11:38 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I found them to be very aggressive and to be willing to twin around anything that wasn't moving. They only get about 18 inchs long though. I grew them last year and decided not to grow them this year. They just weren't a flower I liked. I had to prune a bunch inorder to keep them looking good.

#41300 April 11th, 2006 at 06:08 AM
NASTUR....
I FIND THEM TO BE SO CUTE , ALSO THEY DRIVE THE BEATLES OR BUGS AWAY , I WAS TOLD..
I plant MINE IN A CONCRETE PLANTER THAT SETS ON THE GROUND, AND LET THEM HANG OVER THE SIDES.. NOT AGGRESIVE TO THE POINT OF NOT RETURN.. THEY GROW NICE IN OUR zone AND DIED WHEN THEY FREEZE..iS THAT AGGRESSIVE?
I JUST STARTED SOME OVER MY HEATING CABLE , JUST LAYED THEM ON TOP OF THE SOIL..GREW IN ABOUT 3 DAYS......
I LIKE THEM.

DODGE cool cool cool

Link Copied to Clipboard