This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#41193 June 9th, 2005 at 11:14 PM
OP Offline
Hi everyone, wavey
I've been away a while.. hope all is fine with everyone and your garden is growing beautifully. cool

On to business, we recently moved from cow country to the OC. Our new house is a cute split level built in 1965. We have a lot more land but the previous owners were not into landscaping or gardening at all. I have two sad roses, two citrus trees that I didn't even notice because the weeds were surrounding them, two good size lawns and a ton of groundcover. They really liked candy apple ground cover. :p We also had a bunch of ugly trees, one being a yucca, that we had removed. I'm not one for removing trees or plants but these really had to go. One was dying and the others were just awful. Anyway, the yucca was on top of our little slope/hill in the front yard. The tree guys couldn't grind the stump because its on the hill so they cut down as far as it would go. Now I have a huge (probably at least 2 feet across) ugly stump right where I was going to start my new terraces. How do I make this stump look better? Any ideas? My hubby wants to take an axe and see if he can get more of it out. The tree guy suggested acid to destroy it. shk That sounds like it wouldn't be quite so eco- friendly and I'm not so hip on the idea. Any more organic suggestions?

#41194 June 9th, 2005 at 11:42 PM
I dug mine up from neighbor& were not THAT deeply planted,plus was in sandy soil not a hill and was kinda on a slope& are also different types of yucca.I have the tall trunk type like a spanish bayonett& then the kind like desert candles sometimes called adams neddle.the adams needle does have a tap root that goes down.you could dig down the deepth you needed to plant& cut THAT part out& I'd use an axe.I used an axe on the adams needle and let it callous over then re planted it.Its doing fine.but do understand you want yours gone& know not all folks like them.I keept a 2 ft root on the adams needles I replanted.I couldn't answer truthfully about if It'd re-grow as we used the area for that persons runoff water to run off in woods.trying to divert water to NOT go on levee.

#41195 June 10th, 2005 at 08:37 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
njoynit is right the organic way is to dig it out and then either cut it off below ground level or try pulling it out with a chain and truck. But I wouldn't try that unless you have some experience at it. The accidents can be very bad.

#41196 June 12th, 2005 at 02:02 AM
HI If you cant dig it up you might try to burn it out put a old piece of 55 gal drum with the bottom out of it and pile up a bunch of twigs and sticks on it i know its gonna smoke a lot but even mother nature uses fire but it should get rid of it.thats how i get rid of old tree stumps.it burns them out then just put in some top soil to fill in the void.your friend in gardening.mike57

#41197 June 15th, 2005 at 04:24 AM
OP Offline
Thanks guys! I'll keep you all posted on what we end up doing. It has to be removed some more some how.

Link Copied to Clipboard