This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#41152 June 18th, 2005 at 03:18 AM
OP Offline
Well, we just got back from our grocery trip to wally world, and most perennials were 50% off. I couldn't help myself. You know that voice that calls to you as you walk by "Hey...hey you...psst...take me home....please!"

I bought 4 hostas for about $10. They made me. Anyway, can I put them in the ground now? At least one is flowering. The others may be finished flowering, but I'm not sure - no stalk.

Mary smile

#41153 June 18th, 2005 at 03:21 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
lol, bad bad girl Mary lol. I hear they are pretty hardy but I don't know so I won't hazzard a guess.

#41154 June 18th, 2005 at 03:24 AM
I transplanted some my neighbor gave me about a month ago and since i'm in zone 7 and you're in 6 I would think now would be okay, personally I would give it a try. But that's just me...

#41155 June 18th, 2005 at 03:29 AM
OP Offline
LOL I'm glad you both answered so fast - you know I'm sitting here itching to get out and get them planted! I'll probably lose the flower, but like you said T, they're pretty hardy. I'll just make sure to give em a good drink afterwards. Thanks!

#41156 June 18th, 2005 at 03:58 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Ok it's past the heat of the day you should be fine. Yeah a little transplant shock will probably cost you the flower. Sorry about that part.

#41157 June 18th, 2005 at 04:02 AM
Mary,
My neighbor said that if you clip the flower and don't let it bloom the foliage will grow thicker. She has them all the way around her house. Some of them are as big as 4 or 5 feet across!!!!

#41158 June 18th, 2005 at 06:10 AM
This is hosta that I transplanted from my daughters a few years ago. It didn't do anything the first year but since then it's been fine. It is in the shade and to start with I watered it a little.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#41159 June 18th, 2005 at 06:45 AM
OP Offline
OMG I LOVE those hostas! I've always loved hostas - may be because of their super resilliance - it's one plant I've never 'been able' to kill.

Tricia, thanks so much for that tip - I'm definitely going to clip the flowers - I love when they get full... I get more excited over the beautiful foliage than the flowers anyway. Definitely worth the tradeoff for me.

BTW, I never did get around to planting them today LOL Yaknow, that quick stroll that turns into Oh I gotta do this, I gotta do that? Kept me busy until I was ready to collapse, so they'll go in the ground in the morning! smile

#41160 June 18th, 2005 at 07:12 AM
I will be glad when our trees grow up to provide some shade. I want some hostas, too!

Dianna

#41161 June 18th, 2005 at 07:15 AM
OP Offline
Dianna, that's my challenge too. We've got a few huge trees, and the lilac 'bush' (tree), but I havent gotten to preparing the soil around them at all yet...part of why I didn't get those hostas in today...I gotta figure out where to put them! My SIL has them out in the full blaring sun, and they do fine idea I don't think I'll try it though, if I don't have to!

Oh, hey, let me know if you have any need/desire for some redbud seeds...we've got 2 trees, and they make a zillion seeds, so I'll have plenty come fall!

#41162 June 18th, 2005 at 07:30 AM
Thanks, Mary, but I think I will pass on the redbuds. We have five at the front of the property and I don't think they like it here! laugh We have yet to see a flower on the things. They are probably 2 years old and they battle with the clay soil. I am about ready to dig them up to give to my aunt to see how they do with her coastal conditions! I don't think they like the Midlands. idea Then again, I might not be treating them right! I figure, though, full sun and fertilizer ought to make 'em do something....

Dianna

#41163 June 18th, 2005 at 07:37 AM
OP Offline
That's one thing we DID luck out on - we've got fairly decent soil, and lotsa woyms smile Sorry they don't do good for you. I'd probably not choose to have them if they weren't here already...they were nice for about 2 weeks in the early spring, but that was about it as far as color goes.

Yeah, if they dont flower next spring, I'd dig em up too. There are far nicer trees you could have, especially if you're not getting any color in spring!

#41164 June 19th, 2005 at 02:18 AM
LMT Offline
I like Redbud trees. (Have access to an unlimited supply of seeds, sorry.) They give you excellent color early in the spring when color is at a premium. They tolerate shade well so they make a nice under planting to a larger tree. They only grow to 30' or so they can be planted almost anywhere. I plan on planting a couple along the northern edge where it's shady and they won't interfere with my hot (full sun) garden.

#41165 June 19th, 2005 at 03:25 AM
I have the same hostas as Sheri's. The previous owners of our house had planted them on the S/SW side where they got blazing afternoon direct sun. When we moved in 11 years ago, I moved them to the front of the house where they get morning to early afternoon sun - full sun! They are growing like gangbusters! I've divided them sooooooo many times and given them to my father who has lined the 3 sides of his backyard with them - gorgeous!

Biggest problem is... they are DEER CANDY!!! And we do have many deer who feast on our plants since they took away their woods behind us to build houses on wetlands!!! mad mad mad Of course when we bought the house, we were told that they would never build there because it was wetlands... SURE!!! mad

Anyway, your new hostas should do just fine if planted now. Just be sure to give them plenty of water - especially if you get a dry spell.

Oh, yeah... the other thing that can destroy them is slugs, so be on the look-out for them too. thumbup

#41166 June 19th, 2005 at 03:49 AM
OP Offline
Ewwwwwwey SLUGS I'm afraid I have to admit I'm too ickified by them to pick them or poke them...UGH Go ahead and laugh LOL laugh I guess I need a handy dandy gardening salt shaker!

Sorry I couldn't pawn ...err... pass any redbuds off to ya LMT LOL You have something there though...once my 'outer' yard gets done being dug up (still no movement there btw) may be I'll line the fence with them...hmmm...sure would make for a nice shade area - something we reeeeally lack here.

Sorry about your deer problem Lynne - thankfully we're far enough away from the woods that they don't venture to our property, but I can take a 2 minute walk to 'oooh' and 'aaah' at them (eating someone elses flowers) p LOL I like that graemlin!

I planted them today...smashing if I do say so myself! clp I also put some gladiolus down in a heart shape -- copied that idea from someone here, but I cant for the life of me remember who!

#41167 June 19th, 2005 at 09:37 AM
I think it was G-mom who had the rain lilies in a heart shape - very pretty!

#41168 June 19th, 2005 at 08:04 PM
A lot of people put a saucer of beer under their hostas so the bugs will go into it and die a happy death. I looked after some once and put wood under my leaves so the bugs would go under it for the shade - then threw the wood out when it collected enough bugs.

I don't really like hostas much - I think that's because there's just so much of it in the gardens around here - I did up a garden on Parkside Avenue a few years ago and had to hawk out a lot of lilly stuff - it was all lillies. The hostas were full of holes, and it turned me off 'em.

It's like everything else though - you have to keep after them.

I might think about buying some for a spot beside the driveway - it isn't our property, it belongs to the house next door and until I cleaned it up, they used it for a trash place. Guess they figured apartment building tenants don't care about clean driveways, but I figured different.

The owner and I get on ok - she and I talked about doing something together in that little patch, but it's growing in with wild stuff and looks pretty good now. So maybe we'll just leave it.

Like Jeff keeps saying 'you have enough plants going out there now'.

Yes, there are sales everywhere - I'll have to get on the bike and smuggle some newbies home.

Friday night I poked some nasturtium seeds into a couple of places - it'll be a 'how did they get there?' kinda' thing - if anybody asks, of course - hee! hee!

I just love contraband.

#41169 June 24th, 2005 at 12:49 AM
your hostas are simply magnificient

how old are they to be so big.

Link Copied to Clipboard