This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#40912 June 16th, 2005 at 12:53 AM
jgeoff Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi there -

I'm a first-time hot pepper grower this year, and have been trying to read about them on the web and would like to clarify a couple questions...

1) How tall should the plants be before I let them start setting flowers? They are in 8" containers outdoors, and are currently 7-12" tall -- is 12+" ready? Until now I've been snipping any buds I've seen, but they all have small ones now.

2) What could be causing my leaves to curl like in the following picture? I seem to hear different things. Aphid problem is minor, and mostly under control. I haven't over-fertilized I don't think. I water every 2-3 days. I don't know.

[Linked Image]

3) Unfortunately my balcony faces West, so I don't get good direct sun until like 3pm. Should I expect to have a longer season, or less yield?

4) I know I started seedlings too late (June 1), and they're only 1-2" tall at this point. Should I expect to be harvesting in Winter now? lol

Thanks in advance for these and any further answers down the road as I learn what I'm doing... smile

JG

#40913 June 16th, 2005 at 05:37 PM
LMT Offline
I found this page that talks about peppers which you might be interested in. Nothing in the disease section jumped out at me. Just keep an eye on them.

I did learn something. pepper plants can live for up to 10 years!

growing Indoors:
Chiles are actually perennials, many live over 10 years, but are usually grown as annuals in colder climates.

#40914 June 17th, 2005 at 03:08 AM
jgeoff Offline OP
OP Offline
Great link, LMT, thanks! smile

#40915 June 17th, 2005 at 09:46 AM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
Hello jgeoff I never pinch off a bud on my pepper plants I have raised them for over 60 years they will not produce unil they are ready. I have an anahiem and two pablano's I put in pots last year because of no room in my garden(I tend to go overboard) I have ate peppers off them for a year now this spring I planted then into the garden they have never slowed down producing pepper. I also have a Ti jalapeno pepper and a regular jalapeno as well as a pepper from Laos my grandsons girlf friends mother gave me and six Carribean peppers I started from seed first of may. They are all doing good. Roasted a bunch and put in one freezer the other freezer is full pf other things I have grown or hunted. Hope this helps.
Jimmy

#40916 June 18th, 2005 at 05:49 AM
jgeoff Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks, JV! I'll leave the buds be now. The plants are growing quickly - they're now 10-15" tall. I'll let Mother Nature take care of the rest. wink

Do you think I should be concerned with the leaf curl? Is it too much Nitrogen? Should I not use fertilizer any more, or what should I use as they flower/fruit?

Thanks again! smile

JG

#40917 July 2nd, 2005 at 09:20 AM
I am a first time gardener living in SE Alabama. I have a pepper plant problem. The new leaves are curling. I just placed about half a cup of horse manure around the plant base about a week ago. The temperature is getting above 90F and the T-storm each day for the last few days has pained a few inches. The peppers are planted on raised beds and are in direct sun from SR to SS. I have a soaker hose on a daily timer from 0630 to 0645. My neighbor told me it is the horse manure that I placed on them last week. The leaves are not dry but curling and shriveling only on the new leaves though.

Aloysius

#40918 July 2nd, 2005 at 02:08 PM
O
O
Aloysius, do the leaves look like those in the picture in the first post of this string? Those leaves look like the leaves of my pepper seedlings earlier this season when I had an aphid problem. The aphids feed on the undersides of the leaves and cause them to curl like that. If so, Safer's Soap will kill them, but you may need to spray several times.

#40919 July 3rd, 2005 at 05:18 AM
Thanks terry,

I will try something from gardens alive called Pyola insecticide spray. I have been killing squash vine borers in my cucumbers and zucchinis all day. You know, this has been a crash course in bug identification. Alabama has a lot of bad bugs but there are some good ones, which is why I just do not kill everything in sight. I do feel that the spray is necessary. What are your opinions on this spray?

Link Copied to Clipboard