This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#40496 May 27th, 2005 at 06:11 PM
Fernie Offline OP
Snow Bunny
OP Offline
Snow Bunny
I had planted some cilantro (coriander), parsley and lavender for herbs this year. The lavender has been a little slow but really they all have done really well. I love to use fresh basil and I found a small pot of lettuce leaf basil somewhere....it was deep green and healthy looking. I planted it in full sun and keep it moist like I am supposed to.

Something has attacked the basil and it looks horrible.

[Linked Image]

I have seen a kind of skinny narrow fly on it a couple times.

Can I save it?

#40497 June 2nd, 2005 at 10:37 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I'm really weird. I kept my basil inside with me. It did great in the window facing south-ish. Are you sure it doesn't want some water?

#40498 June 2nd, 2005 at 11:20 PM
Fernie Offline OP
Snow Bunny
OP Offline
Snow Bunny
I water it every day. It looks chewed on in person. It started out with holes in the leaves and then the leaves turned yellowy and then more leaf got chewed off.

#40499 June 3rd, 2005 at 12:24 AM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
Fernie....I am certainly no expert..but do grow a lot of basil, it is my son's favorite herb and he expects me to keep him in full supply!
From looking at your picture, it looks like Genovese basil to me. I only have one Genovese plant because the African Blue has a better flavor and is more hardy. I found a green worm on mine this year...for the first time. Mine looked exactly like yours...eaten leaves and all...I thought it was a goner. Try spritzing it with a solution of water & a few drops of dishwashing liguid...check the underneath sides of the leaves and make sure there are no worms, white fly eggs, ahids etc....ALSO...you may need to put some crushed eggshell around the base of the plant. It may very well be slugs which you can only see at night. I think you can save the little guy...but I also wouldn't water it every day...maybe just every other day or so. good luck and let us know how it is going.

#40500 June 3rd, 2005 at 07:10 AM
Fernie Offline OP
Snow Bunny
OP Offline
Snow Bunny
what great suggestions...I am going to try that spraying after I search the underside of the leaves.

do I need to bake the egg shells first to sterilize them? We used to have to do that if we were going to give the shells to chickens. I just don't want my dogs hauling them around the yard.

Thanks!!

#40501 June 3rd, 2005 at 07:34 AM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
I don't do anything to my egg shells except crack the up into tiny pieces and then put them around the base of the plant. I have also heard that dry oate will ward off slugs, however I haven't tried that.
I have, genovese basil, lemon basil, cinnamon basil and my favorite...African blus basil. It is just more hardy and has a much stronger aroma and taste. The bushes get pretty tall every year and I harvest off of them all summer long. Good luck with your basil Fernie,

Link Copied to Clipboard