This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#40446 August 12th, 2005 at 11:39 PM
OP Offline
I want to get a fhestnut tree( the chinnese kind() it will come two years old h9w long will i have to wait for the first yield. how big will the tree get in a pot

#40447 August 13th, 2005 at 10:51 AM
Mr. Radio
Mr. Radio
The tree will not survive in a pot outside in NY over the winter. The roots will freeze and thaw and freeze and thaw and eventually begin to rot on you.

There has been a blight that has done a lot of damage to any of the chestnut family. It has wiped out most of the chestnuts in NY and has been around for many years now. So this may not be the best choice of plant for you.
If my memory serves me right, if you are wanting to eat the fruit you would want the American Chestnut, as opposed to the Chinese or Horse chesnut. I may be wrong on that one though.

Out here in Cheeseland they have no idea what, "Chestnuts roasting on an open fire" really means, or smells like. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm childhood memories. Dang! I am getting 2 old 2 quick!

Link Copied to Clipboard