This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#40380 May 9th, 2005 at 05:46 PM
M
missing Offline OP
OP Offline
M
hello,

here is a list of the vegetables i have to grow, i plan on adding flowers and vegetables as i plant to get the full effect of companion and crop rotation.

they are
May 9, 2005 Garden List of Vegetables

CUCUMBER
CILANTRO
2 CROOK NECK SQUASH
CAYENE pepper
JALAPENO pepper
SERRANO pepper
ORANGE BELL pepper
2 GREEN BELL pepper
AMBROSIA CANTALOPE
MERCED TOMATOES
HEATWAVE TOMATOES
CELEBRITY TOMATOES
PARTNER TOMATOES
3 SWEET BASIL

the garden is laid out north to south, 28 X 54 feet, 5 rows north and south, high rows, i plowed the whole field with a gravely rotary plow, then i plowed it into 5 rows for planting. there is a path down the rows about 3 feet wide or so, i did this to walk down the rows, and to weed without smashing something. do i need more rows closer together or make do with what i have and garden efficiently. i am reading up on companion planting and crop rotation and am going to use these principals when laying out and planting. i plan on going to get marigolds, and beneficials plants to intersperse as needed in the garden. it is large enough to not crowd anybody i believe.

thank you to the group for the help.
regards,
mc

T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
wow that is more space than I have total I think.

Did you see the post where you can't plant the cantalope near anything else?

The point with the cantaloupes is that some plants in the same family can cross pollinate. If you plant all the tomatoes together then they will probably do so too and you'll have created a hybrid. Not all the fruit by any means, just a small percentage. This means some of the fruit may not be exactly what you planted but a cross. Similar possibilities with peppers crossing etc. No big deal, unless you're growing heirloom varieties and want to save the seeds, just something to be aware of.

E
E
Originally posted by Longy:
The point with the cantaloupes is that some plants in the same family can cross pollinate. If you plant all the tomatoes together then they will probably do so too and you'll have created a hybrid. Not all the fruit by any means, just a small percentage. This means some of the fruit may not be exactly what you planted but a cross. Similar possibilities with peppers crossing etc. No big deal, unless you're growing heirloom varieties and want to save the seeds, just something to be aware of.
Holy cow I did not know tomatoes cross pollinated!. Niw that makes a ton of sense. Last year I had beefsteaks, romas, russian pinks and a couple of yellow tomoatoes, all together. never had I ever had such a weird amount of strange color and lack of fruits.lol. Now I know why, thanks---- trust me, not doin that again.
wink

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I believe if you do a FORUM SEARCH and type in
COMPANION PLANTING.
I'm pretty sure I've posted some things on it,
like what to plant next to what....
Maybe check the ARCHIVES!!!
I'm a wee pressed on time,
but I know there's some stuff here on it..
***I just picked up a companion planting book
from my local library, loooooooooooooot's of
good info, I fell asleep reading it last night,
but will do some more reading and post more..
***I Know I posted info to NJOYNIT on it***

Just keep me posted if you find it or not,
and I'll find it later for you!!!

Weezie

M
missing Offline OP
OP Offline
M
thanks for the tips,

i am on the waiting list at teh local library for a couple of companion books. how far is far enough to prevent cross pollination of the different types of peppers, tomatoes and so on. how do i crop rotate if i cannot put all like and kind together without the cross problem. i know it cannot be this hard, or maybe i had better stick to frozen veggies. thanks to all.

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Here's the one link I posted to Njoynit,
for some companion plants..

Some Companion Plant Combo\'s

Weezie

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Missing,
do i need more rows closer together or make do with what i have and garden efficiently.
it's hard for at least me, to give you a answer...
From each year to year, and planting different
plants, in different places, *plant Rotation*
so, one year your plan may be right, and then the next, a whole different lay out may be appropriate.

3 SWEET BASIL
The tomatoes love basil being planted next to them...so is Borage...also, cleome, cosmos, parsley, Queen~Anne's~Lace and any aster.

2 CROOK NECK SQUASH
Planting your squash with dill and nasturtiums...
The nasturiums help repell some pest and the dill attracts aphid predators...
Sunflowers toooooo!!!

CUCUMBER
A circle of radishes planted around cucumbers
could act as a shield against Cucumber Beetles..

Hope this helps some more...

Let me know if you need any more info!!

Weezie

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
P.S.
i know it cannot be this hard, or maybe i had better stick to frozen veggies.
Don't give up, gardening is an ever learning
process... it takes a bit of time to learn why or how something happens, or when you do something *or don't do something* what reaction happens..

I've been gardening for a bunch~a~bunch years,
and I swear I'm still learning things..

Start small, don't over whelm yourself, and get lot's of books to read, especially in the winter months..
and #1. Keep coming back here again and again..
We're more than happy to help a new gardener and their plants!!!

Weezie

far is far enough to prevent cross pollination of the different types of peppers, tomatoes and so on
++++++++++++++++++++++

Insects and the wind do the pollinating. The only absolutely certain way is to have one type at a time or to contain them in a glass case wink
I'd suggest less varieties of each plant if you wanna make it simpler Duh Maybe stagger your plantings too so that they're not all fruiting at once if you have a long enough growing season.

Start small, don't over whelm yourself
+++++++++++++++++++
Got it in one i reckon Weezie. Many new gardeners make the same mistake (as i did) and decide to plant everything conceivable in one excited rush. Then the learning curve starts.

You've got a great size vege garden there missing, but there's no rule that you've gotta fill it up immediately with everything on the market.
Why not start off with a locally reliable type or two of each of the four basics in the crop rotation guide, and maybe whack in a bed of potatoes too. (Spuds are a great first crop in a new bed. They really get the soil lively.) Leave a section at each end for cucurbits that can cross pollinate, maybe mixed with sweet corn as they grow well together, and prepare the left over areas for the next seasons' plantings.

You'll get a feel for it in the first season and take it from there.

Please don't take this advice the wrong way. It's just that i walked the same road you're travelling and at the end i realised i should've put more energy into creating and preparing the soil and the requirements of plants before getting too adventurous smile

Meg Offline
Gosh, I *know* I'm in way over my head.. I just hope to have *some* of my plants live & be edible!! I am trying my hand at too much all at once, for a first year veggie gardener. I couldn't resist when I'd find a veggie that I thought I'd love to have. Ok, so I went overboard on 4 kind of peppers & 3 kind of maters.. shoulda been 1 each. *sigh* I'm just hoping they mature at different times. I think they will, just because they are way off in size, and also, some were just recently started, so not even ready to put out yet. I mostly need to worry about the buggies right now. Already having a fit with some itty bitties that are way too many for my liking.

Meg

M
missing Offline OP
OP Offline
M
thank you to the group, for the answers and suggestions. i do not take any of the answers wrong. i appreciate the insight.

just to inform. i grew up on a farm planting & working about an acre or more of veg. garden. i think the reason i have forgotten so much, it was forced servitude. if i want to eat, gotta work in the garden. ha, now it is going to be a hobby. for a workaholic, i had to shift gears to something a little more rewarding than the pursuit of the almighty dollar. (dont let him turn this into a business, i told you so)

as i talked to my neighbor who is 80, i dont remember a garden being this complicated, all these rules and planting order and such things. i guess i am reading too much and paying closer attention. i thought it was quite a bit of dirt, but i have a busy road out front, so i guess i can sell (cheaply) to see how my experiment in hobby land is working. i just did not want to sell any cucumber tasting cantelope. i will keep reading and learning. thanks again to the group, keep those suggestions and answers coming. i ask a lot of quesitons, and even more for directions.

till then
mc

Link Copied to Clipboard