This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#40249 May 17th, 2005 at 02:54 PM
T
Tulip Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Im having problems with my plants being to wet.. Im going to go buy new soil today and replant them with dry soil.. any suggestons on the type of soil? All my plants are indoor... also.. is there a way that I can maybe dry out the old soil? maybe on a baking sheet or something and then reuse it? Duh

#40250 May 17th, 2005 at 03:37 PM
wavey tulip,
what type of soil are you currently useing? i use miracle gro houseplant soil. i have great results with it thumbup you can dry your current soil on a baking sheet that process will also kill any bacteria or mold spores that may be in your soil as well( i'm not saying there is laugh but we never know) hope this helps you wink

#40251 May 17th, 2005 at 04:19 PM
T
Tulip Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hi Phoenix! wavey

Thanks for your help! Im not totally sure what kind of soil I used.. but I will pick up the brand you suggested today and start drying my soil out! any suggestions about a dying spiderplant?

#40252 May 17th, 2005 at 04:31 PM
what makes you think the "spider" is dying?
are you overwatering it maybe not enough/too much light? tell me about the symptoms and we'll see if i have a idea

#40253 May 17th, 2005 at 04:38 PM
T
Tulip Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hi Phoenix!

Well my poor spider plant .. it was doing really well in the hanging basket I got it in.. it was huge!! I transplanted it to a rather large basket and all of a sudden the babies off of it have brown crunchy dried up looking leaves in the center of the babies..and I only have 2 babies off of the plant now..and they dont look that healthy.. I moved the plant into more light when i saw this happen and I havent watered it for like a week now..I do belive I was over watering it.. I just want to bring it back to life in anyway I can .. thats why im going to buy new soil.. I also heard somewhere that the ph in the water might have something to do with it? and to use bottled water to water it? Duh
I live in newfoundland and theres not to much sun light at the moment.

#40254 May 17th, 2005 at 04:44 PM
hey tulip,
you know what i do? i have a water cooler jug that i fill up with water and let it sit for 24 hrs. that aqllows the "bad chemicals" in the water to evaporate. i just fill my watering cans with water from my jug and the plants "tell" me they appreciate it wink that may help your spider thumbup

#40255 May 17th, 2005 at 04:51 PM
T
Tulip Offline OP
OP Offline
T
thanks phoenix for all your help.. so just let my water sit at room tempeture is a different jug? sounds good to me.. normally I always have water in my watering can and its on top of the fridge.. im thinking this is the same procdure. Ill try the new soil.. that might help. Do you think i should put the baby spider plant I have in a glass of water in soil.. there are not any roots as i can see yet.
thanks again for all your help!

#40256 May 17th, 2005 at 04:57 PM
Hey Tulip...
Everything that pheonix said is what I have heard previously...good info. Duh

#40257 May 17th, 2005 at 04:57 PM
I always have water in my watering can and its on top of the fridge
same process. i wouldn't put the "baby" in soil until it's rootd develop a little wink thumbup
and your very welcome grinnnn

Link Copied to Clipboard