This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#40070 July 23rd, 2005 at 02:13 AM
OP Offline
HI,
I've been growing several types of hot peppers in big pots this summer here in lower Delaware and they seem as some are taking awfully long to mature. The jalapenos haven't been getting any bigger recently but a sacrificial one a few days ago didn't seem ripe. The cayennes are also still green but grew later so I'm not worried yet and I know that they should go red sooner or later.
I've previously grown habaneros and just picked them as they turned colors depending on the flavor I wanted.
The jals are beginning to develop cracks in the skins. Am I overwatering? Is it time? Other than color is there a good way to tell? I don't think I've ever seen a red or yellow jalapeno though I'd think they will change also.
Similar situation with some grape tomatoes. They've been looking full sized but still green for a while. I've more time off this summer than most summers, maybe am I just noticing their development more?
Thanks
Drew

#40071 July 25th, 2005 at 08:23 AM
I believe that jalepenos stay green, just get darker. Don't know about the rest since, I too am just starting with growing peppers.

#40072 July 25th, 2005 at 10:48 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Drew,
As far as any Jalapeno I've grown,
The jals are beginning to develop cracks in the skins.
when they get those cracks
or brown woody lookin' stripes on them, they are way ready to pick...

I can't remember seeing any red or yellow Jalap's..
Red tinged maybe......

Similar situation with some grape tomatoes. They've been looking full sized but still green for a while.
Some of the cherry/grape sized tomatoes stay
a greenish color...
I am not sure, but could be a stress issue, watering, sunshine, watering, or just the breed/brand etc.

#40073 July 26th, 2005 at 02:43 AM
O
O
Yes, cracking indicates maturity, but if you leave jalapenos on the plant they will eventually turn red and crack some more.

#40074 July 27th, 2005 at 09:16 AM
OP Offline
okay thanks,
the jals are beginning to fall off if you look at them cross-eyed, and the cayeennes I think ar almost there now too. Will peppers still ripen off the plant?
Tomatoes are finally turning, I think I may have been overwatering a little and the pot is getting a little small for the size of the plant; the pot is not shrinking, the tomatoes are really growing in this heat.
Drew

#40075 July 29th, 2005 at 09:47 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I think too, that if you take one of the peppers
in your hand, pull up on it, it should snap
right off, no tugging or resistance..
and they're ready...

#40076 July 29th, 2005 at 08:10 PM
OP Offline
thanks weezie!
the peps are going well, I'm storing some jals in oil to spice it up and cook with as we type. Cayennes are beginning to turn colors so I'm hopeful on those also. Do you think the cayennes I already picked will turn red off the plant?
I have a couple of mystery peppers (I forgot what they are) that have yet to bear but am also confident that they are doing well.
Thanks for all your advice,
Drew

#40077 August 6th, 2005 at 12:56 AM
S
S
Be careful harvesting the peppers. I really wouldn't hand-pick them because it's very easy to damage the plant. Instead, use scissors or small pruners to cut the peppers off the plants.

Julianna

Link Copied to Clipboard