This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#39927 June 28th, 2005 at 02:51 AM
L
lkhusa Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I have a very large beautiful jade plant that I love so much. Everyone wants to take it home. I am having a problem with it though and I need help in knowing how to treat it and I don't want to throw the plant out. It seems to have a white cottonlike substance on the leaves and stems. It has a sticky like substance. Can anyone help me with this? Again I do not want to throw this plant out if at all possible.

lkhusa

#39928 June 28th, 2005 at 02:56 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi there lkhusa, I'm going to move your post to the houseplant section where it will get better responses.....Welcome to the forum, glad to have you here.

laura

#39929 June 28th, 2005 at 03:51 AM
Hi Ikhusa wavey
Welcome to the forum. Go to the top of the page where it says google type in jade plant. It will give you information on the sticky substance, also the white cotton like covering is mealy bugs on your plant. The information will tell you what you can do. hope this helps you.

#39930 June 28th, 2005 at 09:16 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Ikhusa,

The difficulty with treating mealybugs is that there is always more to deal with than meets the eye. Young mealybugs lack the telltale cotton-like protective coating and they are skillful at hiding in nooks and crannies where leaves and stems join.

The key to successfully eradicating these creatures is to spray the ones that are out of sight. That means that whatever treatment you select, you must get complete coverage, to the drip point, of all leaf and stem surfaces. If you miss a few, they will live to breed another day.

I do not recommend any pesticides because they are all hazardous to use and not 100% effective against mealybugs. You may want to try spraying with rubbing alcohol. Mix 1 part alcohol with 8 to 10 parts of water. Be sure to spray all leaf and stem surfaces thoroughly. The common practice of applying alcohol with a Q-tip is not effective because it misses the ones you can"t see. It is also best if you repeat this treatment again in 5 to 7 days to catch any crawlers that you missed the first time. After that, you should check your plant weekly to see if they return.

Another option is to wash the plant down with soap and water. Use the same dilution as when washing dishes. Apply in the same manner as rubbing alcohol.

Never spray in direct sunlight or when temperatures are above 75 degrees. It is also advisable to test any spray on a few leaves as a test before you spray the entire plant. Wait a few days following the test to see if there is any negative reaction to the spray.

Link Copied to Clipboard