This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#39890 May 14th, 2005 at 06:57 PM
OP Offline
Hello Everyone! I am new here and just signed up today, I have NEVER gardened before, so I thought I would try it out this year. I am growing tomato plants. I don't really have a lawn so I thought I would keep each plant I have grown in its own LARGE planter on my deck, that is my plan.
Anyway, the problem I am having is that I transplanted these plants to there own pot about 2 weeks ago. One of the plants went from about 6 inches to nearly a foot!! But one of the bottom leaves have turned yellowish and dropped, what causes this???? Then the other 3 plants I have potted aren't yellow, but on the underside of there most mature leaves, is purple! and they they have barely grown an inch! like I said I am new at this and I have no idea if all these sypmtoms I have mentioned are normal!! Duh but somehow I doubt it. Can someone tell me what seems to be wrong, and is it possible to have healthy plants in pots?

Thanks a bunch!!!!!!

Ninniwinky

PS. I hope I can find my way back to this page, i am new at this forum thing....

#39891 May 14th, 2005 at 07:10 PM
Meg Offline
Ninniwinky, first of all, welcome to the garden helper! It's a great place with lots of helpul folks & pages full of information.

Secondly, if you find your way back to this thread.. when you hit reply, scroll down to the bottom, below the smiley faces.. there's "Options". You can have the thread notify you in your email whenever someone replies & it will give you a link to the thread in your email. thumbup

Lastly.. I'm new at the veggie gardening thing too. I don't know the answer to your questions.. I'm having a bit of trouble with my tomatoes as well. What I do know is this..

1)Tomatoes are supposed to be popular as veggies for first time gardeners, as they are *supposed* to be easy. (So far, I'm not seeing this as a reality!)

2)Yes! Tomatoes can & often are grown in containers! They will get tall, and will likely need some kind of support. (Like a piece of bamboo that you can string it to.)

Other than that, I'm afraid I'm not gonna be much help. My tomatoes are going r e a l l y S L O W. :rolleyes:

Hope to see you back!
Meg

#39892 May 14th, 2005 at 07:18 PM
OP Offline
YAY!! you are my first reply Meg!! flw

I am not seeing this tomato gardening as a cinch either!! I have no idea if I am doing this right!! I told my mom and she said "maybe they are getting too much water, or not enough water" I have no idea how to tell!
We shall see I guess :rolleyes:

#39893 May 15th, 2005 at 01:24 AM
Hi Ninnywinky wavey
What kind of soil did you use for your containers? And have you fertilized them at all? Sounds like they might need some feeding. When you do container gardening, you need to fertilize and use a top quality potting soil. Give me a little more info, and I might be able to help.
Christina muggs

#39894 May 15th, 2005 at 05:32 AM
Tomatoes grow very fast. When they get larger, it's usual for the bottom few leaves to die off. AS for the purpleish colour, it might be a nutrient lock out, what are you feeding it?

#39895 May 15th, 2005 at 04:39 PM
OP Offline
Thank you guys soooo much for giving me some pointers. Keep In mind I have never grew anything before! Now, with that said, I have fed it NOTHING...I really didn't know that I had to! Duh I thought they were pretty self sufficient. I thought it might have been our water becuase we have city water, and who knows what kind of chemicals are in that. As far as the soil goes, I bought it had Home Depot, "Sta-green" "planting mix used for flowers and vegetables, with 'Sta-Green' Time released plant food" That is exactly what I used , I don't know if this helps. Do you guys know if its ok to use the water that drips out of the planter, to Re-water my plants. kind of recycling? I did it yesterday, I though maybe the water drippings had some nutrients or something in it that I could put back in the soil.
Ok thats it, be nice, remember I am a Newbie!!! lala

#39896 May 15th, 2005 at 05:21 PM
OP Offline
I also forgot to ask what kind of plant food i should be giving them, I have some old Miracle grow plany spikes, but I think that the age of the spikes might make them weak or maybe it would go the other way and make them too potent.

thanks again!!

ninni

#39897 May 15th, 2005 at 08:05 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i'd not use them, not because they are no good, but they do create "hot spots". what i would do is dissolve them in water then use the water. that is what i am going to do!

#39898 May 16th, 2005 at 04:36 PM
Hi ninniwinky wavey (don't ya just love the wavey?!)
I'm not an expert but I love growing vegetables, especially tomatoes! I could eat them everyday!!
Some of my tomato leaves have turned yellow. I'm not concerned. They were the mature leaves and my plants are doing amazing this year. I'm just sure to fertilize and water. I don't have a favourite fertilize. Someone at a garden center will point you in the right direction. Just read directions carefully - don't over fertilize!!
The purple leaves indicate a phosphorous deficiency. You can maybe remedy the problem by spreading phosphate rock on the soil or us composted wood ashes, citrus wastes, manures or fish wastes.
I don't reuse the water that drips out because I use drip trays under all my plants. The plants will soak up the drippings as needed. It's always good to have the plants drinking from the bottom - helps the roots grow deeper in search for water.....strengthens them. Hope this helps a little. Don't give up yet! Good Luck!!!
Christina muggs

#39899 May 19th, 2005 at 08:22 PM
OP Offline
Thanks Christina!!

I appreciate everyones help. I will NOT use the water that drips from the plants. and I bought some Fertilizer and they have grown about 3 inches in 3 days! No joke!! I am laying off of that fetilizer this week...LOL!!!

thanks!!

NINNI

#39900 May 20th, 2005 at 08:16 AM
O
O
The purple on the leaves I believe is a potassium deficiency. You're fertilizer should take care of it. I've seen it in transplants in the garden when it's too cool. The potassium is absorbed better by the plants when the temperature warms.

#39901 May 20th, 2005 at 02:01 PM
sometimes they go into transplant shock be sure to add some epson salts to your water a couple tbs per gallon they love acid. I use that stuff on everything veggies, flowers, bushs & tree,s it,s great kit

#39902 May 20th, 2005 at 03:51 PM
OP Offline
Thanks!!!

hey Kat, about the epsom salt thing, I know they say Gardenia's need acidic soil, do you think the epsom salt will help with that also??? I was looking all around the house for an acidic ingredient for my gardnia, I think I have just found it!!!! grinnnn

You know, if anyone knows, I have this reddish brown looking corrosion on the soil of my Gardenia, I swear it looks like rust corrosion. does anyone know what this is??

Thanks!!!

ninnni

#39903 May 20th, 2005 at 11:04 PM
yep! that would be the very thing for your gardenias, hanging fern baskets love the stuff too, most of the time I just take out a handful out of the bag & sprinkle it around my plants its a great deterant for those nasty little buggers they call snails I hate those things, my freind Freda who is 81 yrs young got me useing it she puts it on every single thing she grows she even says it keeps ground moles out of your garden I,m not to sure about that one though but it is very good for almost every thing I,ve ever grown. grinnnn

You know, if anyone knows, I have this reddish brown looking corrosion on the soil of my Gardenia, I swear it looks like rust corrosion. does anyone know what this is??

Thanks!!!

ninnni </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="3" face="COMIC SANS MS, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Link Copied to Clipboard