This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#3996 November 5th, 2005 at 03:07 PM
L
L
Here is the link to FoodSafety on the risk of botulism.
http://foodsafety.cas.psu.edu/jar_bread.htm

#3997 April 24th, 2006 at 09:24 AM
i cant wait ti try this is sounds so cool to do it.i love to bake and this would be great i think.thanks for posting this and if you got more recipes put them here please..

#3998 May 10th, 2006 at 03:17 AM
Those are such great sounding recipes!

I, however am a bit lazy...I use the 'moist' cake mixes right from the store. You know the kind! Add an egg or two, some veg. oil, etc., fill the greased jars half full, bake n seal.

Great for camping/hunting/road trips. I have also made cornbreads and 'canned' them. That worked out well too. Just add a lil' veg. oil to the recipe and 'git on down the road!' wink

#3999 January 9th, 2007 at 04:01 PM
S
S
comfrey this is cool! thumbup ive helped my sister for years canning vegies but never a cake!
gotta tell her about this clp

#4000 January 13th, 2007 at 02:42 AM
I think this sounds like a really neat idea! I would like to try this! Did you have good luck with these Angelblossom?

#4001 January 13th, 2007 at 05:22 AM
I must have been on a hole somewhere lately! I did not see this thread until just now and I'm just amazed!!! Stephen and I were JUST talking about what to send to BZ in Iraq this month. I think I'm going to try one of these recipes to send to the men....if they like it, then I'll try another to send to them.

#4002 February 8th, 2007 at 02:36 AM
Angelblossom,
Do you happen to know how many jars the Pina Colada recipe will fill?

#4003 March 12th, 2007 at 12:22 AM
A
A
this is great. i have never heard of anything like it. i can't wait to make one. thanks for sharing

#4004 March 12th, 2007 at 03:49 AM
comfrey Offline OP
OP Offline
Most of the canned cake recipes fills 4-6 jars. One important thing to remember when doing this is to not fill the jars more then 2/3 full, and take one out of the oven at a time and wipe clean the jar rim and quickly place your flat and ring on, before it cools off. Almost any cake or bread recipe will work, but if you want it to not be dry tasting...use recipes that have some sort of fruit like raisins, carrots & dates. Oh one more thing...The jars have to be freezer type wide mouth jars.

#4005 March 12th, 2007 at 03:54 AM
comfrey Offline OP
OP Offline
Chocolate Cake In A Jar

1 stick plus 3 Tbsp. Butter or Margarine
3 cups White Sugar
4 Eggs
1 Tbsp. Vanilla
2 cups Applesauce, unsweetened
3 cups White Flour
3/4 cup unsweetened Cocoa powder
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/8 tsp. Salt

Prewash 8 pint-sized wide mouth canning jars (be sure to use the kind that have no shoulders) in hot, soapy water. Rinse well, dry and let them come to room temperat ure. Grease insides of jar well.

Beat together butter and half of sugar until fluffy. Add eggs and remaining sugar, vanilla and applesauce. Sift dry ingredients together and add to the applesauce mixture a little at a time: beat well after each addition .

Pour one cup of batter into each jar and carefully remove any batter from the rims. Place jars in a preheated 325-degree oven and bake for 40 minutes. While cakes are baking, bring a saucepan of water to a boil and carefully add jar lids. Remove pan from heat and keep lids hot until ready to use.

When the cakes have finished baking, remove jars from oven. Make sure jar rims are clean. (If they're not, jars will not seal correctly) Place lids on jars, and screw rings on tightly. Jars will seal as they cool. Cakes will slide right out when ready to serve.

#4006 March 12th, 2007 at 03:55 AM
comfrey Offline OP
OP Offline
Fruitcake In A Jar

2 2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup vegetable shortening
4 eggs
2/3 cup water
2 cup fruit; (see note)
3 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 ts ground cloves
1 ts cinnamon
1 ts baking powder
2 ts baking soda
1 ts salt
2/3 cup raisins or nuts

Use wide mouth pint size canning jars, do not use mayonnaise jars, etc. Be
sure to sterilize the jars, and tops according to manufacturer's directions.
Grease the inside but not the rim of the jars.
To make batter: dredge the raisins and/or nuts in some of the flour. Cream together the sugar and shortening.
Beat in the eggs and water. Add the fruit. Sift together the flour,
cloves, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to the batter, if desired, add raisins and/or nuts and mix.
Note - the two cups of fruit is up to you. You can use any mixture of
fruit that you like but no more than two cups. Two cups grated apple+- 1 1/2 cup applesauce and 1/2 cup pineapple, 2 cups shredded carrots, mashed bananas,etc.

#4007 March 12th, 2007 at 03:56 AM
comfrey Offline OP
OP Offline
Banana Nut Bread Baked in a Jar

Ingredients
2/3 cup shortening
2 2/3 cups white sugar
4 eggs
2 cups mashed bananas
2/3 cup water
3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
2/3 cup chopped pecans

Directions
Cream shortening and sugar. Beat in eggs, bananas, and water.

Sift together flour, baking powder, soda, salt, cinnamon, and cloves. Add to banana mixture. Stir in nuts. Pour mixture into greased WIDE MOUTH pint jars, filling 1/2 full of batter. Do NOT put lids on jars for baking. Be careful to keep the rims clean, wiping off any batter that gets on the rims.

Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) about 45 minutes. Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for 45 minutes. Meanwhile, sterilize the lids and rings in boiling water.

As soon as cake is done, remove from oven one at a time, wipe rims of jars and put on lid and ring. Jars will seal as cakes cool. Place the jars on the counter and listen for them to "ping" as they seal. If you miss the "ping", wait until they are completely cool and press on the top of the lid. If it doesn't move at all, it's sealed.

Unsealed jars should be eaten or kept in refrigerator for up to a week. Sealed jars can be stored with other canned food for up to a year.

#4008 March 12th, 2007 at 03:57 AM
comfrey Offline OP
OP Offline
Gingerbread Baked in Jars

· 2 1/4 c Flour (all-purpose)
· 3/4 c Sugar
· 1 ts Baking soda
· 1/2 ts Baking powder
· 1/4 ts Salt
· 2 ts Ginger (ground)
· 1 ts Cinnamon (ground)
· 1/2 ts Cloves (ground)
· 3/4 c Margarine (softened)
· 3/4 c Water
· 1/2 c Molasses
Preheat oven to 325-degrees (NO higher).

Sterilize 5 (12 oz) Ball Quilted Crystal (#14400-81400) jam/jelly canning jars, lids and rings by boiling them for 15 minutes. Remove the jars from the water and allow them to air-dry on your counter top; leave the lids and rings in the hot water until you're ready to use them.

Once the jars are cool enough to handle, use a pastry brush to grease them with shortening (DO NOT use butter, margarine, PAM or Baker's Secret); set aside.

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, ginger, cinnamon and cloves. Stir in margarine, water and molasses until well blended. Divide batter among the 5 jars (they should be about 1/2 full). Place jars onto a cookie sheet or they'll tip over.

Bake in preheated 325-degree oven for 35 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Move the jars around in the oven while they're baking, so they'll bake evenly.

Have your HOT lids ready. Using HEAVY-DUTY MITTS (the jars ARE HOT!) Take one jar at a time from the oven and place a lid on, then the ring. Tightly screw on lids--do it FAST because the lid gets REAL hot! Allow jars to cool on your countertop.

Once the jars are cool, decorate with round pieces of cloth. Unscrew the ring (the lid should be sealed by now) and place a few cotton balls or a wad of batting on top of the lid (makes it poof-y on top), then a piece of cloth (about 3" larger than the lid) on top and screw the ring back on.

#4009 March 12th, 2007 at 04:04 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I'm droolin' here Comfrey!!!
I don't know which one sounds better!! thumbup grinnnn grinnnn cool grinnnn luv

#4010 March 12th, 2007 at 06:44 PM
They all sound excellent! I will have to try making some of these! thumbup

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard