This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
smickes Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi...need help with both of these plants: anabelle hydrangea and a compact pjm rhododendron. Both were beautiful when I purchased them, but now both are drooping quite dramatically. I thought that this was a sign of too much water, but now I am not so sure. Very new to this whole landscaping thing, and I just don't want to have to dig these back up after just having finished a pretty large project!! smile

Thank you for your help!!

I dont believe that a hydrangea can get too much water hence the name hydra - water from what I can gather they needs lots! Mind droops daily during its peak sun hours. I usually go out and water it at the roots right after this time and in an hour or so its perky as ever! I also water it at night again and always give it a good drench both times! Hope this helps a lil!

Thought I'd go looking for a picture of one and here's one . . .

http://www.environmental-care.com/plants/annabelle.html

And Dave's Garden site here says don't let them dry out between waterings, so I guess it's not getting too much.

You can propigate by cuttings, but seeds don't work, it says.

I know I want to get one too, but I don't feel like digging major holes right now. So I'm going to try to get a branch and root it.

I say that at least once a week, but never do go asking somebody if I can cut one.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/48866/

R
R
If it has been just a short time since they were planted, they may just be in shock. If this is the case, they will rebound. There is a product called "SuperThrive". Fantastic for plants that are in trouble.

Also, if they are in direct sun, build them a shade to protect them until they get established.

http://www.planetnatural.com/site/super-thrive.html

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have the same hydrangeas.......3 big established ones....and they prefer to be partially shaded and they do like lots and lots of water.......Like Karrie I water mine deeply down at the roots everyday.

And as RugbyHukr stated above, they may be in shock from the transplant.......they should perk back up in no time if that was the problem.

I have both plants. My hydrangea grow on their own with little care. However, my Rhodies have to be babied. I found out this year that they have very shallow roots. They need good drainage and water during even short drought periods.

I had to put a piece of plywood behind one of my rhodys, because it was in front of my dryer vent. It couldn't stand the heat blowing on it. It would wilt every time I used the dryer. I put it there to begin with to help it get through the Indiana winter. Now I remove the board after the first frost and put it back in the spring.

Link Copied to Clipboard