This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#39586 August 5th, 2005 at 08:25 AM
OP Offline
So I just came back from Home Depot - all excited about the yellow Mandevilla I saw (which I thought was the same as a Brugmansia btw). Anyway, I excercised GREAT self control by not taking one home with me. I decided I needed to find out more about it before buying - so I googled away, and found out that it's not hardy in my zone (6) Duh

#39587 August 5th, 2005 at 08:29 AM
Meg Offline
Oh Mary.. I'm soooo there with ya! I absolutely LOVED the Mandevilla at Lowes.. so many colors, so beautiful! And not hardy here!! (zone 6/7) *sigh* I get my hopes up for different things, and they all end up being a zone 9 or better plant! *pout* Why do they buy them for the stores here, if they aren't hardy here???????? The same with the hibiscus. There is a hardy version, but nooooooo, they have the zone 9 ones here, need to come in if it gets below 50F. *sigh*

Meg

#39588 August 5th, 2005 at 08:36 AM
OP Offline
Exactly! It's so evil of them! Grrrrrrr I just don't have enough house to bring all this stuff into. I guess I can do honeysuckle eh? That'll do here. It's just not quite as pretty frown I think I'll do some research for vines that do well here. I'm kind of in the 6/7 area too - technically in 6, but pretty close to 7, so i guess I could push it to 7 wink I'll let you know what I find!

#39589 August 5th, 2005 at 08:39 AM
Meg Offline
That's me Mary.. really considered zone 6, but so close to 7, if I give them extra mulch, etc.. good location away from lots of wind.. they do ok here. *sigh*

Meg

#39590 August 5th, 2005 at 10:03 AM
P
P
Mary,

If you want a vine that is hardy in IL even in my zone 5, you should consider the native trumpet vine. My garden club just had a garden walk, and someone had a out of control trumpet vine that I believe matches the picture in your head. I thought I had more pictures, but I don't.

[Linked Image]
Trumpet Vine

P.S. I used your thumbnail tip. How'd I do?

#39591 August 5th, 2005 at 10:27 AM
OP Offline
Bravo! PAR I'm so proud! wink

That totally matches the picture in my head - any idea what it's called? God that's gorgeous!!! Wahoo I'm so excited now! Now why doesn't HD have THAT on sale?! Hmmm?! laugh Wahoo! wavey muggs

#39592 August 5th, 2005 at 12:03 PM
P
P
Mary,

It's called "Trumpet Vine". Just do a google search on it, and you'll get lot's of hits. Here is one of them:

EmilyCompost: Trumpet Vine

I know I've seen it for sale at a neighborhood garden center. I don't know if HD carries it, but they may.

#39593 August 5th, 2005 at 12:46 PM
OP Offline
Excellent - thanks! I'm definitely hunting this one down!

#39594 August 5th, 2005 at 05:59 PM
Meg Offline
I still like the mandevilla flowers better. I like the trumpet vine, and considered getting it before.. but I still love the flowers on the mandevilla. :rolleyes: Hmm.. "you can't always get what you waaaaant.."

Meg

#39595 August 5th, 2005 at 08:25 PM
R
R
Some things that are not hardy are used as annuals in the colder zones.

Also, sometimes, if nurtured, these plants can survive & flourish.

Crepe myrtle is not supposed to be hardy, but I have seen them in WV & MD.

#39596 August 5th, 2005 at 08:43 PM
If you know someone that has trumpet vine, I'm sure they would be happy to whack off a piece for you. Just throw it down on the ground where you want it to grow and in 2-3 years it will be coming up everywhere. I have some on my property and I fight it ALL the time. It comes up 20-50 feet from where it is growing on a fence. Don't plant it near a tree it will overcome it and kill it out, if you don't keep it in check. I'd say it is borderline invasive in KS. Anyone else battle trumpet vine like I do?
How bout clematis? Sweet Autumn or one of the Montana kind? It would take a season or two to establish, but it is a beautiful vine. Just my .02.

#39597 August 5th, 2005 at 09:50 PM
I have been considering a trumpet vine as well. Although I know they are incredibely invasive. I want something to cover a telephone pole I have out in my front yard. and a few boxes by it. I rather like the yellow ones best but thought about planting a yellow and orange one. Do you think they would mesh in a blend of color eventualy?

#39598 August 6th, 2005 at 01:42 AM
OP Offline
I have to admit, I love the yellow trumpets - but I surprised myself when I was favoring the peachy glads over any others - so I'm thinking the orange won't be 'so bad' after all wink I do believe there is there a yellow trumpet vine though...so there is the option...I think? Duh

Sure wish I knew someone with one of these - but I don't. Duh I'll have to hunt it down - I did see some on ebay that I thought about getting!

Karrie - I kind of want something invasive - to an extent. I want to put *something* across my front yard - along the sidewalk - to keeep the blasted dogs out during spring/summer. Figure I could do pretty cheapy with some posts and wire fencing with a vine trailing over it. We actually have a fence over on the side of the house that's that square rabbit pen type stuff - and it looks great because it's covered with MGs and wild grapes!

I do think that if you do yellow & orange ones, the color would eventually turn to one or the other, especially if planted together...'course I could be totally wrong about that - happens every now and then laugh

#39599 August 6th, 2005 at 07:04 AM
Mr. Radio
Mr. Radio
Mary,

I am a bit further north then you are, and many people grow mandevilla here. They just cut them back, and take them inside and continue to grow them as a house plant over the winter.
The main trick is to bring them in when the conditions inside your home are almost equal to whats outside. that way any shock will be greatly reduced. Keep them in a sunny location and don't fert them over the winter.

#39600 August 6th, 2005 at 10:29 AM
OP Offline
Thanks, Mike! I'd say you are a *bit* further north than me wink Are people able to grow it over a trellis or arbor? That's really what I'm aiming to do - though I could settle for having it as a 'patio plant' (as HD so cunningly describes it) but right now I'm going for foundation plantings - and I'd like a great big huge vine type dealio to cover my (yet to be built) front fence, with an arbor or trellis to the front door...fancy shmancy huh? laugh I'm probably a little OD on the planning - but hey, shoot for the moon and you'll reach the stars - or something like that laugh

#39601 August 6th, 2005 at 10:32 AM
OP Offline
Wow! Okay, this is what I'm going for
link but may be a little heavier on the fence part than they have it there.

#39602 August 6th, 2005 at 10:35 AM
OP Offline
Okay, but I have a question - I just went searching for seeds, and someone included the info in their listing that trumpet vines won't flower for 5-7 years from seed - I know we went through this with wisteria - true for trumpet vines too?

#39603 August 6th, 2005 at 07:14 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Mary...That is awesome!
I want one of those! grinnnn

I'm too impatient to wait for something to grow from seeds, though...except Morning Glories! laugh

#39604 August 6th, 2005 at 07:21 PM
Mary, do you want something with flowers? Our arbor is covered with grape vine and I love it. The vine can grow up to 2 feet a day! It doesn't ever take long for the entire arbor to get covered. Right now, the vines are all over my flower bed (because I haven't had time to cut them back) and actually growing across the roof of our kitchen!! I will try to get a picture for you.

#39605 August 6th, 2005 at 08:02 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I love the concept. I hope you find something that will make you very happy. I of course would have every color of climbing tea roses I could find over the fence and trellis. but that's just me lol. Those are the ones you don't prune back. They don't have the scent of the other roses I've run across but even their punny thorns would add another layer of protection from the dogs for your yard.

Link Copied to Clipboard