This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#39435 May 26th, 2005 at 03:38 AM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
Looks like I killed it.

I took it out to the picnic table, about 3 weeks ago, scrunged around its soil, added some, watered it, cut off the top and planted in the bottom.

[Linked Image]

Thanks to Image Shack

[Linked Image]

Jeff thinks it's over-watered - said the soil was pretty wet.

#39436 May 26th, 2005 at 04:15 AM
He may be right. You should let the soil approach dryness but not completely dry before you water again. Be especially sure that it has good drainage because they are susceptible to stem rot and root rot. If you're worried its too wet, take it out of the soil its in and pot it in some new soil.
BTW- you do know that these plants are poisonous don't you??

#39437 May 27th, 2005 at 02:13 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Carly,

Your Dieffenbacia is badly in need of pruning. Cut off the top 6 inches or so and try rooting it in water. Then cut off the rest of the bare stem to a height of about 6 inches above the soil.

New growth will emerge just below where you made the lower cut. If you provide lots of bright indirect light with a few hours of direct sun (right in front of a north or east window), you will soon have a nice compact, but shorter plant that will not need stakes and crutches to hold it up.

Ah, the benefits of pruning!

#39438 May 27th, 2005 at 03:34 AM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
That's how I ruined it - I did take off the top stem and put it beside the plant - that died.

Well, Maybe I should take the rest off and do what you said.

Yes, I do know it's poisonous - that's the trouble with them - you hate to have it in the apartment 'cause of the cat and you can't put them outside - 'cause of the cat (again), other people's cats and other animals.

Last night Jeff put it in the office where it seemed happy for about a month. He went in there this morning and found its leaves had picked up nicely again.

If I take off the top six inches, there will be no leaves at all - it will be just stalk.

Link Copied to Clipboard