This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#39321 June 7th, 2005 at 09:34 PM
Therian Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a pretty big peace lily in my kitchen, and though it has plenty of foliage.. it's just not blooming at all. Occasionally it will have a smallish bloom, but that never gets very big like they were when I first got it. I use Peter's house fertilizer on it about once a month, water it probably once a week.. more if it seems really dry, and it's not in direct sunlight.
Any ideas why it's maybe not blooming very well?

#39322 June 8th, 2005 at 04:15 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Therian,

There are two likely reasons. One is that the pot is too big. If you repotted it, then the plant's energy goes into producing roots at the expense of flowers. Keep it very potbound.

The other is genetic and you can't do anything about it. Most peace lilies are hybrids that have been "designed" to put out one enormous outburst of flowers at point-of-sale. Subsequent flowering is weak.

#39323 June 8th, 2005 at 05:40 AM
Therian Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Will,

I haven't repotted it so it's still in its original pot. I had read peace lilies like to be root bound, so I hadn't touched it. I really hope it's not the genetic thing you mentioned. When I bought this plant the blooms were spectacular. Now when there are blooms they are nearly hidden in the foliage, and never rise to the glory they had high above the plant as they did when I bought it.
Are there peace lilies that are not "designed" to bloom at point of sale and then more or less fade out? I think I'm feeling a little snookered by this "design" if you know what I mean.
At any rate, thank you so much for your response. At least now I don't feel so much like I've done something horribly wrong to this poor plant that made it not be able to bloom. Less guilt is a good thing.. right? smile

Oh, and I do have an additional question if that's ok. I have recently (like this afternoon) moved inside my house as house plants a few gorgeous crimson impatients I had left over from my garden plantings. My question is... how long could I maybe expect them to survive in the house?
I know they're annuals, but would it be unlikely that they could survive a year in the house? I mean assuming I do all the right things like remember to water them. smile

#39324 June 8th, 2005 at 01:58 PM
Put it in a very dark corner of the house.

I had one in the office window and although it looked ok, leaf-wise, it didn't give any flowers.

I have moved it to a very, very shady corner of the office. It is doing quite well.

I think I'll visit the office this morning and check on it, maybe take a picture as it is right now.

#39325 June 8th, 2005 at 04:46 PM
Therian Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Carly,

Hmmm a darker place huh? I hadn't thought about that. I don't really have any dark places in the kitchen, but I do in my bedroom.. so I think I'll try movinhg it there and see if something good happens. I'd just like to see this thing bloom like it used to. That's why I bought it in the first place, the magnificent blooms.. Which now goes back to the possible genetic "design" Will was talking about.. and now I feel snookered again... maybe.. I'll try moving it to the dark part of my room and see if I gets better before I really pout. smile

#39326 June 8th, 2005 at 09:40 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Therian,

Although peace lilies will survive in low light, they do best in bright indirect light. North or east windows are good. I empathize with your feeling "snookered". My peace lilies are doing the same thing. But Will is right, you can't get around the genetics of a specific plant. I, too, am interested to find an unimproved peace lily. Meanwhile, give your plant as optimal conditions as possible, hope for the best and please keep us updated.

#39327 June 9th, 2005 at 03:40 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Peace lilies often thrive under office overhead fluorescent lighting, but not in a dark corner.

Monthly fertilizer may help if yours has been in the same pot.

In fact, you have been snookered. We all have. It is all but impossible to find a Spathiphyllum species (non-hybrid) anymore. I have a few older ones in some of my accounts, but I cannot find new ones. For growers, it is all about getting you to buy one in the first place and they know you will buy the one that has the most flowers. Few retailers understand that they will not flower that profusely again. So you never find out.

#39328 June 19th, 2005 at 07:31 PM
That's where mine's working out best. I had blooms and the foilage is healthy looking.

No, I have not transplanted it. Don't think I will.

I guess as the season changes, it might want to come out into the window again. I'll see.

I keep forgetting to take a picture of it when I'm in the office.

Link Copied to Clipboard