This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#38664 May 17th, 2005 at 04:57 PM
H
HollyD Offline OP
OP Offline
H
I just received a potted impatien (hanging) and a red bloom Azalea bush from my mothers funeral.
I would love to plant both of them but will consider just planting the Azalea,but have always had trouble keeping things alive for very long. I live in Arkansas, my house faces north and mostly shaded. I need to know how to plant,feed,water, and where to plant them. Help! The only thing I have green in my yard is my 4 bushes that I planted 3yrs ago and they havent even grown a foot,but I'm still happy cuz they are atleast green! lol

#38665 May 17th, 2005 at 05:35 PM
wavey hollyd
ters so so sorry for your loss. here is a bit of info from one of the forums i hope it helps

Azaleas may be transplanted successfully during almost any season of the year, but early fall at the beginning of their dormant period is the best time.
Here is the procedure I try to follow....
Transplanting Azaleas
Dig your new hole about 2 feet deep, and 1 foot wider each way than the full spread of the root ball of the plant (this larger hole will benefit the rapid regrowth of the roots).
Mix in a generous amount of peat moss and compost and a handful of transplant food to the soil you have removed.
Fill the hole with water.
Take a sharp shovel, and cut a circular narrow trench (cutting the roots cleanly) at the drip line of the plant you are going to move, making your cuts as vertical as possible, and about 12-18 inches deep.
If possible, get some help, and using 2 or 3 shovels positioned evenly around the plant, simultaneously apply lever pressure to the shovels. The plant should "POP" up out of the hole.
Get some help, and remove the plant from the hole, and into a wheelbarrow, or tarp. Transport it to your prepared hole.
Set the plant into the hole, adding or removing soil so that the plant is as close as possible to the depth at which it was previously growing.
Turn the plant in the hole so that it presents its best side toward the area it will be viewed from.
Again, fill the hole with water, and then begin to add the soil to the hole. Yes, you will have a muddy mess, but this will insure that there are no air pockets around the roots.
Apply a mulch if desired.
Step back and admire your work,,,next spring its going to look great!
For more general care of Azaleas, go to azaleas.htm

#38666 May 17th, 2005 at 07:16 PM
Snow Bunny
Snow Bunny
both azaleas and impatiens like shade so that will be fine. The imatiens are a wonderful container plant. And in a hanging basket, the hummingbirds will love them.

#38667 May 17th, 2005 at 07:16 PM
Snow Bunny
Snow Bunny
both azaleas and impatiens like shade so that will be fine. The imatiens are a wonderful container plant. And in a hanging basket, the hummingbirds will love them.

Link Copied to Clipboard