This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#38608 May 10th, 2005 at 03:21 AM
D
OP Offline
D
Hi. Before I found thid website I was gardening and cut back the green foliage of a hyacinth bulb. This website says i should have let it die back naturally. Have I killed or damaged it?

Also, how do I keep a sweet william from toppling over? Do I stake it of just keep it trimmed?

Thanks

#38609 May 10th, 2005 at 03:27 AM
Hi daisysmurf,

i like the name you chose,makes me think of daisymae,my cat.

to answer your q.,i dont know.

But a big welcome to the site and i m sure there is a lot a good people that could answer you,we ve got a lot a good gardners,you ll see.

Francine.

#38610 May 10th, 2005 at 03:29 AM
D
OP Offline
D
Sorry I posted this message like 3 times, but I kept getting an error message and didn't think it went through!

#38611 May 10th, 2005 at 03:34 AM
Snow Bunny
Snow Bunny
I think if you cut the leaves, you will probably still get a hycinth next year but it will be smaller and not near as pretty. It is ok to cut the leaves back, once they turn yellow after the flowers have died and been dead headed. The leaves feed the bulb and get it ready for next years flowers. So don't worry, just next year give the leaves time to turn yellow before cutting them back.

As to the Sweet William, I haven't a clue. I am pretty new at gardening and don't know a whole lot about it. Someone should be along later with information for you. There are some real masters here.

Oh and welcome!

wink

#38612 May 10th, 2005 at 03:46 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You really shouldn't cut the leaves on any kind of bulb--just let it die down.....I'm not sure how well yours will come up next year without the foliage on them to absorb the sun..... wavey

#38613 June 15th, 2005 at 03:13 AM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
pcgraves response:

wavey Hi, from what I've read about the sweet william (or Dianthus as it is sometimes known) it grows about 18 inches tall and you should keep the dead flowers picked off to encourage further blooming. I can't find anything about them toppling over but I don't think staking it will harm it. There are items made for tall flowers called flower stakes; it is a long stiff wire type stake with a loop at the top made for holding up the flower. You might check at your local nursery or go to www.michigan bulb.com and in the accessories group look up plant supports.
Now for the hyacinth. I don't believe you killed it. I have daffodils all over my yard and they unfortunately eek get mowed down quite often. (I've really got to stop letting my husband cut the grass laugh )The biggest problem I have encountered is that in cutting down the foiliage before it dies is the plant usually won't bloom the following season. There is a method for "forcing" bulbs such as hyacinths to grow in pots indoors. If you can't find anything on the net I will e-mail you the info I have if you are interested.
I do hope I haven't been too "windy" in my response and that you find some helpful info in what I have written.

#38614 June 16th, 2005 at 04:22 AM
T
T
Hi all
Last year my DD sent me seed for 'tall' SW. When it came up this year it was at least 2 1/2 ft tall & it did 'flop' over. Had to stake it. Did well until the coyote decided to lay there! Hopefully it reseeded itself for next year.

Link Copied to Clipboard