This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#37887 June 23rd, 2005 at 01:11 PM
D
DaisyM Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I looked at my 3 ft perenial and the whole top is cut like someone clipped it with the scissor's. I few bean plants are gone as well. I take it that climbing cut worms did this. I've heard that they peak every 3 years. Three years ago, I had such a bad infestation, that when I went out at night with a flashlight, it was like a nightmare. That year they cut my garden down like someone went over it with a lawnmower. The last 2 years haven't been that bad, but I'm beginning to wonder about this year? Is there anything natural one can do, to deter the ones who cut from the bottom as well as the climbers. If I dig into the soil, I usually find the culpirt sitting right in the soil, around the plant they've damaged. The other solution I've found that works is going out after midnight with a flashlight and removing them. This is the time of night they are on the plants doing their dirty work. This is hard to do when there's alot of them and a little scarey too, when it's so dark outside.

#37888 June 23rd, 2005 at 05:01 PM
Hi DaisyM
I have found a link for you.
go to www.ehow.com
then home&garden
Type in cutworms
it will give you some information on how to control then!
Hope this helps you. wavey

#37889 June 23rd, 2005 at 09:51 PM
D
DaisyM Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks princessazlea (such a pretty name) Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

#37890 June 23rd, 2005 at 10:09 PM
D
DaisyM Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Checked it out, and they said to apply nematodes. Aren't these a type of round worm or maggots? Where do you get them? What do nematodes eat? I'm confused, just what kind of nematode are they talking about?

#37891 June 23rd, 2005 at 11:07 PM
DaisyM
nematodes are microscopic worms.
Have a look at this web site for information and what you can purchase.
www.arbico-organics.com

or go to the top of the page where is says google and type in nematodes. wavey

Link Copied to Clipboard