This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#37713 July 5th, 2005 at 07:57 AM
OP Offline
I've noticed this white looking stuff of some of my plants but noticed most of it on my rose bush. it's not very bad or anything though. it's this white fuzzy stuff and when I touch it it jumps! Duh thanks bunches! kissies

#37714 July 5th, 2005 at 08:33 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Jaime,

Your pests sound like mealybugs. Will Creed just posted about them yesterday to another thread:

Mealies will take over your rubber plant and make a sticky mess and cause it to weaken and lose leaves before it ultimately succombs. Not treating them is not an option for you. Here's the up-and-up on mealies.

The difficulty with treating mealybugs is that there is always more to deal with than meets the eye. Young mealybugs lack the telltale cotton-like protective coating and they are skillful at hiding in nooks and crannies where leaves and stems join.

The key to successfully eradicating these creatures is to spray the ones that are out of sight. That means that whatever treatment you select, you must get complete coverage, to the drip point, of all leaf and stem surfaces. If you miss a few, they will live to breed another day.

I do not recommend any pesticides because they are all hazardous to use and not 100% effective against mealybugs. The best non-toxic treatment for mealybug is called Brand X foliage cleaner (Yes, that's for real). It is available through Southwest Plantscape Products in California (www.southwestplantscape.com ). Their phone is 1-800-333-7977. It is a silicon-based product so it is very slippery. Its ability to penetrate is probably the key to its effectiveness because it gets into the tiny crevices that other sprays miss.

You may want to try spraying with rubbing alcohol. Mix 1 part alcohol with 8 to 10 parts of water. Be sure to spray all leaf and stem surfaces thoroughly. The common practice of applying alcohol with a Q-tip is not effective because it misses the ones you can"t see. It is also best if you repeat this treatment again in 5 to 7 days to catch any crawlers that you missed the first time. After that, you should check your plant weekly to see if they return.

Another option is to wash the plant down with soap and water. Use the same dilution as when washing dishes. Apply in the same manner as rubbing alcohol.

Never spray in direct sunlight or when temperatures are above 75 degrees. It is also advisable to test any spray on a few leaves as a test before you spray the entire plant. Wait a few days following the test to see if there is any negative reaction to the spray.

I've been using the Brand X Will is talking about for a couple months now and the stuff is fantastic! Two of my plants which were infested with scale and aphids for over a year are now recovering. Brand X eradicated most of the pests with the first application at the lowest recommended concentration. I might not have been as thorough as I should have been because the pests returned, but not nearly as many as before. And it clean plant leaves with a pretty shine that repels dust. It is inexpensive - highly concentrated - and best of all, non-toxic! thumbup

I unsuccessfully tried many remedies and was ready to toss a couple large plants when Will steered me in the direction of Brand X. (Thanks, Will!) I know this sounds like an advertisement for the product, but this stuff really works! flw flw And no, I have no connection with the company. wink

Brand X Plant Cleaner

#37715 July 5th, 2005 at 08:34 AM
R
R
Miss Jamie,

I believe that you have flatid planthoppers (metcalfa pruinosa).

adults

nymphs

signs

#37716 July 5th, 2005 at 10:27 AM
OP Offline
thanks for trying to help guys but it doesn't look like either :-(

#37717 July 5th, 2005 at 12:53 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Jamie, do you have pest pictures?

#37718 July 5th, 2005 at 01:00 PM
OP Offline
no not right now but I'll try to get some tomorrow if weather allows and if I have enough juice in my camera batteries...I need to get some of the chargeable ones and the thing that charges them :-(

#37719 July 5th, 2005 at 01:25 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sorry, Jamie, I just noticed your infected plant is a rosebush. And here I thought this was a houseplant thread. zzzzz

#37720 July 6th, 2005 at 09:01 AM
OP Offline
lol it's ok...i went and checked on it today and didn't see any so I guess and hope that the soap and water got rid of it! thanks for trying to help me though :-)

#37721 July 12th, 2005 at 05:00 AM
A
A

#37722 July 14th, 2005 at 09:20 AM
Mealybug bugs do not jump,one they start to feed the females so not move. The adult male mealybugs look like gnats.

Its possible you have whitefly but they are not that common on roses. I would lean more toward woolly planthoppers, but hard to know without seeing.

#37723 July 14th, 2005 at 09:48 AM
Hi Suzanne! Funny, I have white bugs in my rose garden - but not on my rose bushes. They're actually on my mums (I have quite a few mums in the rose garden). They don't seem to bother anything, except for when I brush against the mums when I'm stepping in the bed to work or something, a cloud of little white bugs fly up off the mums. I just keep my mouth closed and everything is ok LOL! laugh

#37724 July 14th, 2005 at 09:53 AM
your mum bugs sound more like whitefly....

#37725 July 14th, 2005 at 10:53 AM
Yeah, I've been calling them that, though I really didn't know for sure. They're not bothering anything, so I don't bother them wink

Link Copied to Clipboard