This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#37691 May 10th, 2005 at 06:11 PM
OP Offline
omg.....i just went out to water my only rose bush.....it was loaded with aphids....tiny, tiny white ones!!! if anyone is on here now ....please help.....i've heard you can mix a solution of dish soap and water and spray, is this true???? i've been looking at them everyday and just thought the white was part of the bud.......ugh!!!!!!!!
i'll be here......hoping someone responds!
thank you, Linda

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Linda, sorry about all the aphids you have on your rose bush......I've never had to deal with them, but hopefully this link will help you out......

laura wavey

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/2/641.html

OP Offline
I Love You Laura!!!! Thanks for responding so fast!!! the site was helpful, looks like i'll have to buy some icky chemical stuff!! but for now it said i could try to wash them away with the hose...or pick them...ewwwwww.....to many to do that!

thanks so much....will let ya know how it goes,
Linda

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not a problem linda.....sorry I couldn't help more......one of my books here says you can use water to try to get them off too.....but mostly I've just read about getting rid of them by using chemicals.....There is probably some homemade concotion that could be used to get rid of them......Wish I knew what it was so I could pass it on to you....

Good luck getting rid of them!!!

laura smile

Snow Bunny
Snow Bunny
chemicals or lady bugs....or else pick them off. Pretty much the choices. Here we had such a mild winter that the aphids are devouring roses in huge herds! The lady bugs are going to get big!

Poor thing!

The good news is: I've had great success spraying soapy water on aphids! Soap the plants all over the leaves and buds.

The bad news is: are you sure they're aphids? The ones on my roses are usually green. But I know they come in a rainbow of sneaky colors.

Go out and spray some. Then go back and check an hour later. If the aphids (or whatever they are) are looking bad, you know you've met with success! Good luck, and tell us how it goes.

T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Bess to the rescue!!!!

So glad you were here. I don't know anything about aphids but I will. JV is sending me my very first rose.

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Linda,
Are you fertilizing your rose?
If you are, check the first number
on the package...If you have a high #,
lay off of it... too much nitrogen
it'll produce alooooooooot of new, green growth,
which those pesky little "all different colors"
aphids just love to suck the life out of..

Weezie

idea For anyone who is interested and doesn't know about it; there is a site which sells completely organic products to do just about anything you need to do in the garden. From fertilizing to treating unwanted pests... Here's the link: http://www.gardensalive.com/Default.asp?bhcd2=1115760250

Hope this helps!

thumbup great site pcgrav grinnnn
thanx

Meg Offline
*pssst* I've spent a small fortune at that site so far this spring..lol. I didn't want to be unprepared, as I found out last year, I was overrun & had nothing & had to resort to running to the local store & getting nasty icky chemicals. Ok, so I'm still not completely organic, but gosh, I don't like the idea of using all those chemicals. Oy.

I just whipped up a batch of Pyola Oil to spray all my trees, which have been hit with aphids, sawflies, and something else I think as well.. just not sure what yet.

Meg

OP Offline
well.....so far so good!!! yippeeeee! i mixed a light solution of dish soap (green apple) and water. first i hosed my bush with a pretty heavy stream of water. then i sprayed with the soap solution. i've been checking everyday....a ew ere and there but i picked them off.

weezie, i haven't fed them anything yet.....but i will keep that very useful info in mind when doing so.....what are your opnions on just feeding them miracle grow? the one you mix with water????

thank you everyone!!!!!

Linda

You know, I have no idea if this helps and remember I am a BEGINNER, but when I had a problem with my gardenia having bugs, being that they are so finicky, I asked the gardener at our local green house and told me to buy this Spray, which turned out to be 4 different oils. I sprayed the gardenia completely and its soil and put a garbage bag over it for 24 hours, and then sprayed it off. I guess the oil is a safe to the plant and it suffocates the aphids. REMEMBER I am a beginner and that could have been strictly for Gardenia's! But I don't see why it wouldn't work for other plants.

Good Luck!!!

Ninni

Link Copied to Clipboard